Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
1stcoast

Default My formulas return the formula not a result in the cell

Cell A1
Formula in cell B1
00-1-36000-21800 SPPNT HUGGIES GOODNITES =LEFT(A2,16)

The calculation returns the formula not a result. What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Try

="00-1-36000-21800 SPPNT HUGGIES GOODNITES"=LEFT(A2,16)

But that the text string is at least 40 characters so it can't be TRUE

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"1stcoast" wrote in message
Cell A1
Formula in cell B1
00-1-36000-21800 SPPNT HUGGIES GOODNITES =LEFT(A2,16)

The calculation returns the formula not a result. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

B1 is probably formatted as text

this should fix it
select B1
Edit Replace
Replace = with =

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Try this:

First, make sure B1 is not formatted as Text.
Select B1, then FormatCellsNumber Tab
(Category should NOT be Text)

If the format is OK, then:
Select B1
DataText-to-ColumnsClick the [Finish] button

Does that fix the problem?

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"1stcoast" wrote:

Cell A1
Formula in cell B1
00-1-36000-21800 SPPNT HUGGIES GOODNITES =LEFT(A2,16)

The calculation returns the formula not a result. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"daddylonglegs" wrote:

B1 is probably formatted as text

this should fix it
select B1
Edit Replace
Replace = with =

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503872

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What a Relief

The Edit Replace = with = fixed this same problem for me also. Thanks so
much for the solution.

IronMan