Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Olson

Default How to reference a value in a cells for a row number

Have a worksheet with specific data (calls, $, employee) in the columns and
the weekly data (Week 1 Week 2 Week 3) for the specific data in the rows.
Each week I add new data to the next row and need to be able to sum or total
the data at the bottom (Year to Date information). Currently, I highlight the
area containing the year to date formulas and do a find/replace to advance
the row to the next one down with the new data for the current week.

Problem: Can I put a value in cell and have the sum or average formula
reference a cell the contains the row number that I would like to end on? I
have tried to use name function for the row, and the r1c1 format but can not
use a cell reference for the # in the r1c1 format. here is an example:
=sum(a1:a+currentweek) Current week is a named cell for the row with the
current weeks data.

I also tried in the r1c1 format =sum(R1C1:R'currentweek'C1) In this
example current week would a cell holding the value 10 next week it would
hold the value 11 and so on.

I have several formula that very with the week. So if there is any easy way
to reference a cell containing the a vaule to be place in the cell reference
for a row would be a big help. Otherwise, find repace of the hightlighted
area is the quickest way I know to do this.

Thanks,

David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

Why don't you enter your formula in A1 format, then switch to R1C1 format to
see what the formula is. For instance, I just tried it and came up with this:

=SUM(R[-9]C:currentweek)
--
Kevin Vaughn

"David Olson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid

One complex way:

=SUM(INDIRECT("A1:A" & COUNT(A1:A1000)

This formula can be placed anywhere below row 1000, if you wish to have
the running totals on the same columns.

One simple way:

=SUM(A:A)

This formula should be placed on another column.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides