Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John

Default Cell just shows formula after named region var change

All of a sudden some of my new formulas are appearing as the cell content
instead of the content being the value of the formula. Specifically, I have
several report sheets that show data from a database table range referenced
by cell named 'dedb' that look like:

=IF(VLOOKUP(dewono,INDIRECT(dedb),COLUMN(contact), FALSE)<"",VLOOKUP(dewono,INDIRECT(dedb),COLUMN(co ntact),FALSE),"__________")

I added a new column in my database range called tcontact and named to, but
when I copy the above formula to a cell to reference the new column, it does
not evaluate. It just shows:

=IF(VLOOKUP(dewono,INDIRECT(dedb),COLUMN(tcontact) ,FALSE)<"",VLOOKUP(dewono,INDIRECT(dedb),COLUMN(t contact),FALSE),"__________")

What's going on here? I do have over 500 named ranges in my workbook, and
the workbook file is around 700KB, but I wouldn't think I was running out of
room or resources.

Appreciate your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John

Hitting Ctl-` displays all cell formula. This isn't what is happening. My
formulas are displaying and evaluating fine until I try to change one. Then
it just displays the formula for that particular cell. If I hit ctl-z to
undo, it goes back to the unchanged formula which works fine. It is like
something has gotten corrupted in my workbook.

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Maybe you should copy all information to a new workbook.
If not try this. First make sure that none of the cells with formulas are
formatted as text, if that is the case change to
general or numbers, secondly after you have changed the formula do an
editreplace and replace equal sign with equal sign. However if this has
happened lately you might want to copy all data to a new workbook in case it
is getting corrupted

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John

Peo, you nailed it! Your the Man!! These cells were formated as text. As soon
as changed them to general, everything started working again. Is the an
Excel "Feature"? Seems strange to me.

Thank you so much. -John