Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bufhal

Default how to seperate into columns?

Hope someone can help me.
I have a text file that when I open in Excel, all the comma delimited
fields are in the "A" column. I need all these records to be in
different columns.

Here is an example:

DATE,"TIME","ID","FNAME","LNAME","SUFFIX","TITLE", "COMPANY","ADDRESS1","ADDRESS2","CITY","ST","COUNT RY","ZIP_CODE","PHONE","FAX","CODES","EMAIL

I appreciate any help.

--
bufhal
bufhal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10702

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sloth

highlight the cell you want to break up. Click Data-Text to Columns.
Choose Delimited and select next. Choose comma, and hit finish.

"bufhal" wrote:

Hope someone can help me.
I have a text file that when I open in Excel, all the comma delimited
fields are in the "A" column. I need all these records to be in
different columns.

Here is an example:

DATE,"TIME","ID","FNAME","LNAME","SUFFIX","TITLE", "COMPANY","ADDRESS1","ADDRESS2","CITY","ST","COUNT RY","ZIP_CODE","PHONE","FAX","CODES","EMAIL

I appreciate any help.

--
bufhal
bufhal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10702
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501695

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Nancy

If you open a blank spreadsheet, and then go to the data menu and choose to
import external data, You can find that file that you want to import. Then,
there is a wizard that will come up. One of the screens in that wizard asks
what the delimator is. That is where you choose the comma. Right now, it
looks as though it doesn't know that the comma is supposed to make it skip to
the next cell.

"bufhal" wrote:

Hope someone can help me.
I have a text file that when I open in Excel, all the comma delimited
fields are in the "A" column. I need all these records to be in
different columns.

Here is an example:

DATE,"TIME","ID","FNAME","LNAME","SUFFIX","TITLE", "COMPANY","ADDRESS1","ADDRESS2","CITY","ST","COUNT RY","ZIP_CODE","PHONE","FAX","CODES","EMAIL

I appreciate any help.

--
bufhal
bufhal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10702