Al

Default Count and then average

Hello,

In tab A I have my Raw data that consists of about 20 different performance
metrics sorted by name.

In Tab B I am putting together a breakdown of this. What I need is a
function that will count the instances of each name and then average the
results for one column for that employee.

Ie.. In tab A if "Joe" was 10 results out of 100 I want to get an avearge
of the results for just Joe.

duane

if names are in a1:t1 and results are in b2:t2

=average(if(a1:t1="Joe",b2:t2)) entered with control-shift-enter should
work

else

=sumif(a1:t1,"Joe",b2:t2)/countif(a1:t1,"Joe",b2:t2)

--
duane

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11624
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=314170

Myrna Larson

You can use an array formula:

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A100="Joe",B1:B100))

entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER,

or a "regular" formula (just use ENTER)

=SUMIF(A1:A100,"Joe",B1:B100)/COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Joe")

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:09:05 -0800, "Al" wrote:

Hello,

In tab A I have my Raw data that consists of about 20 different performance
metrics sorted by name.

In Tab B I am putting together a breakdown of this. What I need is a
function that will count the instances of each name and then average the
results for one column for that employee.

Ie.. In tab A if "Joe" was 10 results out of 100 I want to get an avearge
of the results for just Joe.

tjtjjtjt

One way:
If the names are in Column A and the number in Column B, do this for each
name:
=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A100="Joe",B1:B100))

Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter for this Formula instead of just enter--it's an
array. If you entered it correctly, it'll look like (below), even though you
didn't type the curly brackets:
{=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A100="Joe",B1:B100))}

tj