Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KopRed

Default Multiple V Lookups

This question is touched on in the post "Expert VLookups".

I have two worksheets with numerous columns in each and about 1,000 rows
each. Column A in both worksheets has company names. Each company name could
have multiple entries. Against the multiple entries are numerous pieces of
data including the payment amount.

In spreadsheet 1 I want to find the invoice number from spreadsheet 2 where
"both" the company name and the payment amount are identical.

Example

Spreadsheet 1
Company Col B Col C Col D Col E Pymt Amt Col F Col G Invoice
XYZ 6421.00
0012472
XYZ 3736.42
0012834
XYZ 7224.56
0011942
XYZ 4337.88
0013652

In spreadsheet 2 I want to lookup the invoice number where the company is
XYZ and the Pymt Amt is $7,224.56.

Do I need to use an 'array' or is there a worksheet function that can be used?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

I'm confused about which sheet is which!

Try something like this and just plug in your sheet names/ranges.

Array entered using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

A1 = XYZ
B1 = 7224.56

=INDEX(Invoice_range,MATCH(1,(Company_range=A1)*(P ayment_range=B1),0))

Biff

"KopRed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ScottO

Is it possible that the same company could have multiple invoices
with the same value?
If so, do you want the first match, the last match, or all matches
returned?
Rgds,
ScottO