Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
teacherphil

Default turning student scores into a level???

I have a series of student test marks between 0 and 40. I have to turn
these into a national curriculum (UK) level. I have the grade
boundaries, but they are not linear.15=level3. 19=level4. 26=level 5.
34=level6. I can easily use an if function to level these scores,
however, I want to level them as 4.3, 6.1 etc. Short of using lookup
and making a table 50marks long with the appropriate levels next to it,
is there a way I can do this without cluttering up my sheet.

Any help would be appreciated

Phil

--
teacherphil
teacherphil's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30495

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Anne Troy

You realize you don't have to clutter up your sheet? You can put your
VLOOKUP table on another sheet by using a named range, and you can even hide
that sheet.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"teacherphil"
wrote in message

I have a series of student test marks between 0 and 40. I have to turn
these into a national curriculum (UK) level. I have the grade
boundaries, but they are not linear.15=level3. 19=level4. 26=level 5.
34=level6. I can easily use an if function to level these scores,
however, I want to level them as 4.3, 6.1 etc. Short of using lookup
and making a table 50marks long with the appropriate levels next to it,
is there a way I can do this without cluttering up my sheet.

Any help would be appreciated

Phil

--
teacherphil
teacherphil's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501491

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

A lookup is the way to go, you only create it once, it is easily
maintainable, it can be off the visible screenj or even in a different
worksheet.

--

HTH

RP

"teacherphil"
wrote in message

I have a series of student test marks between 0 and 40. I have to turn
these into a national curriculum (UK) level. I have the grade
boundaries, but they are not linear.15=level3. 19=level4. 26=level 5.
34=level6. I can easily use an if function to level these scores,
however, I want to level them as 4.3, 6.1 etc. Short of using lookup
and making a table 50marks long with the appropriate levels next to it,
is there a way I can do this without cluttering up my sheet.

Any help would be appreciated

Phil

--
teacherphil
teacherphil's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501491

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete

You can also get Excel to fill the numbers 0 to 40 for you, so you only
have to type in what grades each score represents. You might want to
set the grades column as Text before you enter the data, so that 3.0
(if such a grade exists) does not show as just 3.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim B

see the select function
and either use the help facility, or google for samples

JimB

wrote in message

I have a series of student test marks between 0 and 40. I have to turn
these into a national curriculum (UK) level. I have the grade
boundaries, but they are not linear.15=level3. 19=level4. 26=level 5.
34=level6. I can easily use an if function to level these scores,
however, I want to level them as 4.3, 6.1 etc. Short of using lookup
and making a table 50marks long with the appropriate levels next to it,
is there a way I can do this without cluttering up my sheet.

Any help would be appreciated

Phil

--
teacherphil