Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Spike9458

Default Formula to recognize Duplicates

I have a list of about 6000 line items. Among other things, the data
includes names and email addresses. There are many duplicate entries,
checking line by line for 6000 lines is not very appealing to me.

Can someone help me to devise a formula or other way to do this?

Thanks,

--Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Chip Pearson has some techniques at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

Two approaches - Filtering and Conditional Formatting

Filtering can remove the duplicates:
1. select the data
2. pull-down Data filter Advanced Filter and check unique records only

Conditional Formatting can mark the duplicates (no removal)
1. select the top cell
2. pull-down Format Condtional Formatting...then select formula is
3. for the formula use something like =COUNTIF(A$1:A$10,A1)1
--
Gary's Student

"Spike9458" wrote:

I have a list of about 6000 line items. Among other things, the data
includes names and email addresses. There are many duplicate entries,
checking line by line for 6000 lines is not very appealing to me.

Can someone help me to devise a formula or other way to do this?

Thanks,

--Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Spike9458

Thanks Chip, I think it's exactly what I was looking for ... I will post
back when I'm done with the file.

--Jim

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
: Chip Pearson has some techniques at:
: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm
:
:
: Spike9458 wrote:
:
: I have a list of about 6000 line items. Among other things, the data
: includes names and email addresses. There are many duplicate entries,
: checking line by line for 6000 lines is not very appealing to me.
:
: Can someone help me to devise a formula or other way to do this?
:
: Thanks,
:
: --Jim
:
: --
:
: Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Spike9458

Thank-you for your response. I am going to try this formula too, I want to
do what is easiest between this and the formula shown at the site Dave
linked me to. I will post back when I am done with the file.

--Jim

: "Spike9458" wrote:
:
: I have a list of about 6000 line items. Among other things, the data
: includes names and email addresses. There are many duplicate entries,
: checking line by line for 6000 lines is not very appealing to me.
:
: Can someone help me to devise a formula or other way to do this?
:
: Thanks,
:
: --Jim
:
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Chip Pearson has various "Duplicate" formulas at his website.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...gingDuplicates

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP