Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
campli

Default Help! data from pasted table is not included in sum

I pasted a column of simple numbers from a word doc to an excell spreadsheet.
When I try to find sum of cell range, pasted data (although visible) is not
included. I'm sure you are all saying "duh!" but I'm sooo frustrated!
Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid

This is probably because it is still text and cannot be recognized as a
number. Are the numbers left aligned?
Try the following:
Enter the value 0 in a separate cell. Edit|Copy the cell.
Select the imported numbers. Edit|Paste Special... Click the Add button
and OK.

Does this help?

Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

Most likely Excel treated the numbers as labels. To convert them to numbers,
copy an empty cell, select the pasted range, use Edit-Paste Special-Add and
Values, click on OK

"campli" wrote:

I pasted a column of simple numbers from a word doc to an excell spreadsheet.
When I try to find sum of cell range, pasted data (although visible) is not
included. I'm sure you are all saying "duh!" but I'm sooo frustrated!
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

campli

Most likely the numbers are "text"..

Format to General then copy a blank cell, select the cells and Paste
SpecialAddOKEsc.

Should now be numbers.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:12:02 -0800, campli
wrote:

I pasted a column of simple numbers from a word doc to an excell spreadsheet.
When I try to find sum of cell range, pasted data (although visible) is not
included. I'm sure you are all saying "duh!" but I'm sooo frustrated!
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
campli

Thanks Duke-
It didn't work, though I tried several versions of your advice. What I
finally did was go back to the word doc, copy the column of numbers from the
table inside the word doc, selecting to keep text only. with it in that
format I was able to copy and paste into excell with no problem. Must have
been some glitch with the table formatting in word and the formatting in
excell.
I so appreciate your help!

"campli" wrote:

I pasted a column of simple numbers from a word doc to an excell spreadsheet.
When I try to find sum of cell range, pasted data (although visible) is not
included. I'm sure you are all saying "duh!" but I'm sooo frustrated!
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
campli

Hi vezerid,
Thank you as well for your help. Please see response to Duke, below for an
explanation.
First time I've used this forum for help and I'm thrilled you are all here.
It's kind of like a suicide hotline. Even if your problem isn't solved, just
knowing someone else is out there and gives a damn makes a difference! :)