Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
owl527

Default location of cell

Hi, I am trying to find the cell location of the largest number in a
colume. I put: =ROW(LARGE(C4:C75, 1))
it keeps saying my formula contains an error, what function can I use
to find out the cell location ? please let me know. Thanks.

--
owl527
owl527's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20916

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=3+MATCH(MAX(C4:C75),C4:C75,0)

will give the row

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"owl527" wrote in
message ...

Hi, I am trying to find the cell location of the largest number in a
colume. I put: =ROW(LARGE(C4:C75, 1))
it keeps saying my formula contains an error, what function can I use
to find out the cell location ? please let me know. Thanks.

--
owl527
owl527's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499654

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
owl527

Hi, not only do I want to find the largest number, I actually want to
find the top 5 numbers.
this is what I put:
=("B"&3+MATCH(MAX(C4:C75),C4:C75,0))
I want to get the value in this cell (not the number itself but the
category the number belongs to). it is giving me the cell location, I
am unable to display the value in the cell. How do I do that? PLEASE
HELP! thanks!!!!

--
owl527
owl527's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20916
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499654

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=INDEX($B$4:$B$75,MATCH(LARGE($C$4:$C$75,ROW(A1)), $C$4:$C$75,0))

and copy down

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"owl527" wrote in
message ...

Hi, not only do I want to find the largest number, I actually want to
find the top 5 numbers.
this is what I put:
=("B"&3+MATCH(MAX(C4:C75),C4:C75,0))
I want to get the value in this cell (not the number itself but the
category the number belongs to). it is giving me the cell location, I
am unable to display the value in the cell. How do I do that? PLEASE
HELP! thanks!!!!

--
owl527
owl527's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499654

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
owl527

it works perfectly fine! thank you....
But, what does ROW(A1) do? I don't understand why you put it in the
formula. Please can you explain? thanks.

--
owl527
owl527's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20916
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499654

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

That is just to return an index into the large function. ROW(A1) returns 1,
so you get the first largest. When you copy down to the second row, this is
updated to ROW(A2), which returns 2, so you get the second largest.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"owl527" wrote in
message ...

it works perfectly fine! thank you....
But, what does ROW(A1) do? I don't understand why you put it in the
formula. Please can you explain? thanks.

--
owl527
owl527's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499654

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Aladin Akyurek

You can obtain a correctly formed Top 5 list with:

1. a pivot table or
2. a formula system.

For the latter, see my post in:

http://tinyurl.com/44ywo

owl527 wrote:
Hi, not only do I want to find the largest number, I actually want to
find the top 5 numbers.
this is what I put:
=("B"&3+MATCH(MAX(C4:C75),C4:C75,0))
I want to get the value in this cell (not the number itself but the
category the number belongs to). it is giving me the cell location, I
am unable to display the value in the cell. How do I do that? PLEASE
HELP! thanks!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
owl527

Hi, this is similiar to what I am looking for, HOWEVER, I guess mine is
a bit more complicated because I have an extra column. e.g.
Column 1 - Countries (HK, US, UK)
Column 2 - Products (Banana, Apple, Orange, Grapes, Carrot, Potato,
Tomato)
Column 3 - values (numbers)

I would like to sort the top 5 product Per country.

Sample end result:
HK
Banana 240
Apple 137
Tomato 122
Orange 82
Apple 23

Please help! thanks!!!

--
owl527
owl527's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20916
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499654

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Aladin Akyurek

You could try the pivot table approach to create Top 5 lists per country.

owl527 wrote:
Hi, this is similiar to what I am looking for, HOWEVER, I guess mine is
a bit more complicated because I have an extra column. e.g.
Column 1 - Countries (HK, US, UK)
Column 2 - Products (Banana, Apple, Orange, Grapes, Carrot, Potato,
Tomato)
Column 3 - values (numbers)

I would like to sort the top 5 product Per country.

Sample end result:
HK
Banana 240
Apple 137
Tomato 122
Orange 82
Apple 23

Please help! thanks!!!

--

[1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
their Excel numeric equivalents.