Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joeb

Default copy down an indirect formula

from reading this board I figured out how to use an indirect formula: here
is mine:
=IF(INDIRECT("B2743")=INDIRECT("C2743"),1,0)

what I need to do is copy this down through row 9902. I want it to change
to row 2748, 2749, 2750 and so on. right now if I try to copy it down it
remains exactly the same (row 2743). Any ideas??

These boards have been very helpful with advanced functions!!!!

Thank you!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sloth

Relate the reference row to the current row. For instance if the first
formula is in A1, you would use this

=IF(INDIRECT("B"&ROW()+2742)=INDIRECT("C"&ROW()+27 42),1,0)

When you copy this down the value of ROW() will change depending on the row
the cell is in. You will need to change according to where the cell is.

That being said, normally the INDIRECT function should be used when you
DON'T want the reference to change as you copy the cells. If you want the
references to change as you copy use a regular reference like

=IF(B2743=C2743,1,0)

"Joeb" wrote:

from reading this board I figured out how to use an indirect formula: here
is mine:
=IF(INDIRECT("B2743")=INDIRECT("C2743"),1,0)

what I need to do is copy this down through row 9902. I want it to change
to row 2748, 2749, 2750 and so on. right now if I try to copy it down it
remains exactly the same (row 2743). Any ideas??

These boards have been very helpful with advanced functions!!!!

Thank you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joeb

Ok thanks, I will give this a shot tomorrow.

I am using indirect because I am inserting many cells and shifting the rest
down. I have to match up names but have different address's, so a query will
not work. I started at 90k lines and narrowed it down to 10k rows with
queries. I am turning them green when they match so I know that I have not
missed any.
Thanks again
Joe