Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Charlie

Default average and stdev from groups of data

Hi everybody,

I have data such below for a year,
How do i calculate average and stdev from sample1 to sample4 on each date?.
Is there any functions or formulas to automatically calculated it ?
Ex: what is average and stdev from date 3/1/06 ?

I have tried to calculate by subtotals function, but it only can calculate
by colums.

Date sample1 sample2 sample3 sample 4
1/1/06 2 3 1 2
1/1/06 2 1 3 2
1/1/06 3 0 2 3
2/1/06 1 2 1 0
3/1/06 2 1 3 2
3/1/06 0 2 1 3

Thanks,
Charlie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
R.VENKATARAMAN

=average(B6:E6)
=stdev(B6:e6)

the formula can be copied .

"Charlie" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

I have data such below for a year,
How do i calculate average and stdev from sample1 to sample4 on each

date?.
Is there any functions or formulas to automatically calculated it ?
Ex: what is average and stdev from date 3/1/06 ?

I have tried to calculate by subtotals function, but it only can calculate
by colums.

Date sample1 sample2 sample3 sample 4
1/1/06 2 3 1 2
1/1/06 2 1 3 2
1/1/06 3 0 2 3
2/1/06 1 2 1 0
3/1/06 2 1 3 2
3/1/06 0 2 1 3

Thanks,
Charlie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Domenic

Assuming that A1:E1 contains your headers/labels, and A2:E7 contains
your data, let G2:G4 contain 1/1/06, 2/1/06, and 3/1/2006...

H2, copied down:

=AVERAGE(IF($A$2:$A$7=G2,$B$2:$E$7))

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER. For STDEV,
change AVERAGE to STDEV.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"Charlie" wrote:

Hi everybody,

I have data such below for a year,
How do i calculate average and stdev from sample1 to sample4 on each date?.
Is there any functions or formulas to automatically calculated it ?
Ex: what is average and stdev from date 3/1/06 ?

I have tried to calculate by subtotals function, but it only can calculate
by colums.

Date sample1 sample2 sample3 sample 4
1/1/06 2 3 1 2
1/1/06 2 1 3 2