Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cynthia

Default Enter Comment for an Entire Column

I know you can enter a comment so when you scroll over the column it will
show the comment no matter what line you are on, but I can not remember how
to do this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Enter the comment on one cell, then Copy PasteSpecial Comments, to the
other cells of interest.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Cynthia" wrote in message
I know you can enter a comment so when you scroll over the column it will
show the comment no matter what line you are on, but I can not remember

how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Think we could also:
Right-click on cell Insert Comment
to enter directly
--
Rgds
Max

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Just to clarify that I had lightly "disregarded" your subject line, and
presumed you simply wanted to remember how to insert comments into cells,
individually.
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cynthia

Thank you CLR, but when I tried this I entered comment in first row then
Highlighted the whole column and Excel frooze up on me.

Oh bye the way, Interesting initials..............same as mine!

Any other ideals?

Thanks Cynthia

"Cynthia" wrote in message
I know you can enter a comment so when you scroll over the column it will
show the comment no matter what line you are on, but I can not remember

how
to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cynthia

Thanks any how. What I need is when someone is filling in the spreadsheet I
want to make sure they enter only the info needed in that column. I did it
years ago but can not fiqour it out now.........as they say use or lose it.
Thanks
Cynthia

"Max" wrote:

Just to clarify that I had lightly "disregarded" your subject line, and
presumed you simply wanted to remember how to insert comments into cells,
individually.
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Perhaps you're referring to data validation's input message ?

Try this:

Select col A
Click Data Validation Input Message tab
Enter some "comments" inside the "Input Message" box
Click OK

The input msg will appear as you scroll down col A
(Is that what you're after ?)

For more on Data Validation, try Debra Dalgleish's excellent coverage. For
starters, try her:
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
"Cynthia" wrote in message
Thanks any how. What I need is when someone is filling in the spreadsheet

want to make sure they enter only the info needed in that column. I did it
years ago but can not fiqour it out now.........as they say use or lose

it.
Thanks
Cynthia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cynthia

Sorry Max. That did not work. You know when you scrool over a cell with a
comment how a little post it note appears. I know you can scroll over a
column and it will do the same thing, So I can remind everyone what needs to
be entered into that column.

Thanks for your Help!
Cynthia

"Cynthia" wrote in message
Thanks any how. What I need is when someone is filling in the spreadsheet

want to make sure they enter only the info needed in that column. I did it
years ago but can not fiqour it out now.........as they say use or lose

it.
Thanks
Cynthia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Sorry Max. That did not work.

That's not what you wanted, that is <g

Ok, so it's "Comments" that we're talking about.
Chuck's suggestion should have worked,
but perhaps you had some implementation problems,
re your feedback to him:

.. I entered comment in first row then
highlighted the whole column and
Excel frooze up on me.

To prevent Excel freezing,
try selecting a *smaller* range to paste the comments
(Do you really need the comments for the entire col - 65k cells?):

Right-click on cell A1 Insert Comment
Type the comment you want

(That's what Chuck meant by:
"Enter the comment on one cell")

Then right-click on cell A1 Copy

Select a *smaller* range in col A, say A2:A100
Right-click on the selection,
Choose "Paste special" Check "Comments" OK

Repeat the right-click paste special ..
on the next block of cells (A101:A200, say)
--
Rgds
Max