Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cfiser

Default How do I copy a formula to another cell

I am trying to copy a basic addition formula from 1 cell to another...When I
do this it copies the cells correctly but gives me the answer from the
previous cell copied from.
example
A1 = 100, A2 = 100 so A3 would be A1+A2=A3 = 200
if i copy that formula from A3 to B3 I get the same ending firgure even if
my numbers in B1 and B2 are different.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

How do you do the copy?
What formula shows in the Formula Bar for B3?
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"cfiser" wrote in message
I am trying to copy a basic addition formula from 1 cell to another...When
do this it copies the cells correctly but gives me the answer from the
previous cell copied from.
example
A1 = 100, A2 = 100 so A3 would be A1+A2=A3 = 200
if i copy that formula from A3 to B3 I get the same ending firgure even if
my numbers in B1 and B2 are different.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete

You might have Calculation set to Manual - press F9 to see if the
values in B3 change. If so, go to Tools | Options | Calculation (tab)
and check Automatic Calculation.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cfiser

=SUM(A1+A2) IN CELL A3
=SUM(B1+B2) IN CELL B3, but when i copy the formula from cell A3 to cell B3,
it changes the everything correctly except is carries the A3 calculation down
to B3 - it doesn't add the current cell information.

"cfiser" wrote in message
I am trying to copy a basic addition formula from 1 cell to another...When
do this it copies the cells correctly but gives me the answer from the
previous cell copied from.
example
A1 = 100, A2 = 100 so A3 would be A1+A2=A3 = 200
if i copy that formula from A3 to B3 I get the same ending firgure even if
my numbers in B1 and B2 are different.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

It sounds like your calculations are set to Manual instead of Automatic.

Select TOOLS
Select OPTIONS
Click on the CALCULATIONS tab
Change the setting to AUTOMATIC
Click OK

Or, if you'd rather leave calculations as Manual, then just hit F9 whenever
you want to update your formula values.

HTH,
Elkar