Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lauren

Default CONCATENATE text formula

I am trying to put the text from 2 separate cells into one.

I have a name list. 925 entries.

I want to merge the first name and last name. How can I do this using this
function, and it not being stuck together. I want it to have a space
separating first and last name. I keep trying the formula, but it doesnt
seem to be working, I know I am doing something wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lauren

Sorry, I shouldve clarified that I cant get the formula to work even. I am
putting the formula in a blank cell, i enter =concatenate(&A1,&B1) which is
what I need merged together, I copy the formula, do a paste special for
values. I am highlighting a1 and b1 together for it to apply to the cells.
Obviously that isnt right, because its not working. The formula is showing
up in the cell rather than the result. I do have the formula auditing mode
ON.

Thanks again!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=A1&" "&B1

Peo Sjoblom

"Lauren" wrote in message
I am trying to put the text from 2 separate cells into one.

I have a name list. 925 entries.

I want to merge the first name and last name. How can I do this using

this
function, and it not being stuck together. I want it to have a space
separating first and last name. I keep trying the formula, but it doesnt
seem to be working, I know I am doing something wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Make sure that you are not in formula view, ToolsOptionsView, and see that
Formulas is not checked.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Lauren" wrote in message
Sorry, I shouldve clarified that I cant get the formula to work even. I

am
putting the formula in a blank cell, i enter =concatenate(&A1,&B1) which

is
what I need merged together, I copy the formula, do a paste special for
values. I am highlighting a1 and b1 together for it to apply to the

cells.
Obviously that isnt right, because its not working. The formula is

showing
up in the cell rather than the result. I do have the formula auditing

mode
ON.

Thanks again!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=A1&" "&B1

Peo Sjoblom

"Lauren" wrote in message
I am trying to put the text from 2 separate cells into one.

I have a name list. 925 entries.

I want to merge the first name and last name. How can I do this using

this
function, and it not being stuck together. I want it to have a space
separating first and last name. I keep trying the formula, but it

doesnt
seem to be working, I know I am doing something wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

I didn't tell you to use concatenate did I?
The formula I gave you replaces concatenate, if you prefer to type the name
of a long function you can use

=concatenate(A1," ",B1)

howevere make sure the cells are not formatted as text (general) or that you
are not in formula view (ctrl + ` or toolsoptionsview uncheck formulas)

Peo Sjoblom

"Lauren" wrote in message
Sorry, I shouldve clarified that I cant get the formula to work even. I

am
putting the formula in a blank cell, i enter =concatenate(&A1,&B1) which

is
what I need merged together, I copy the formula, do a paste special for
values. I am highlighting a1 and b1 together for it to apply to the

cells.
Obviously that isnt right, because its not working. The formula is

showing
up in the cell rather than the result. I do have the formula auditing

mode
ON.

Thanks again!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=A1&" "&B1

Peo Sjoblom

"Lauren" wrote in message
I am trying to put the text from 2 separate cells into one.

I have a name list. 925 entries.

I want to merge the first name and last name. How can I do this using

this
function, and it not being stuck together. I want it to have a space
separating first and last name. I keep trying the formula, but it

doesnt
seem to be working, I know I am doing something wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lauren

Something is still not working for me.

I will give an example. In cell A2 is - Adrienne in cell B2 is - Reilly

I want it to appear in cell A2 as Adrienne Reilly

When I type the formula in a blank cell this is what I am putting

=CONCATENATE (A2, B2)

After I type that in and press enter, I copy it. I move over to cell A2 and
do paste special. I select values. Then it should come out to be what I
wanted which is Adrienne Reilly, but it doesnt. It comes to the formula.

The formula view is NOT ON.

Am I not pasting it right? I tried pasting it to cells A2 and also
highlighting it from cell A2 to B2, thinking that was the problem, however,
its not working.

I hope I have explained this correctly.

Thanks for any help!

"Lauren" wrote in message
Sorry, I shouldve clarified that I cant get the formula to work even. I

am
putting the formula in a blank cell, i enter =concatenate(&A1,&B1) which

is
what I need merged together, I copy the formula, do a paste special for
values. I am highlighting a1 and b1 together for it to apply to the

cells.
Obviously that isnt right, because its not working. The formula is

showing
up in the cell rather than the result. I do have the formula auditing

mode
ON.

Thanks again!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=A1&" "&B1

Peo Sjoblom

"Lauren" wrote in message
I am trying to put the text from 2 separate cells into one.

I have a name list. 925 entries.

I want to merge the first name and last name. How can I do this using
this
function, and it not being stuck together. I want it to have a space
separating first and last name. I keep trying the formula, but it

doesnt
seem to be working, I know I am doing something wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

1. If you want a space why don't you use the formula that I provided?

=CONCATENAT(A2," ",B2)

2. Format all cells as general (select the range, do formatcells.number and
select text)

3. While still selected do editreplace and replace equal sign with equal
sign
Or make sure the one cell you put the formula in is formatted as general NOT
text, then put in the formula and press enter, if you get the result then
copy down by dragging the lower right cell corner, make sure the formulas
result are ok then while still select copy and paste special as values

Peo Sjoblom

"Lauren" wrote in message
Sorry, I shouldve clarified that I cant get the formula to work even.

am
putting the formula in a blank cell, i enter =concatenate(&A1,&B1)

which
is
what I need merged together, I copy the formula, do a paste special

for
values. I am highlighting a1 and b1 together for it to apply to the

cells.
Obviously that isnt right, because its not working. The formula is

showing
up in the cell rather than the result. I do have the formula auditing

mode
ON.

Thanks again!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=A1&" "&B1

Peo Sjoblom

"Lauren" wrote in message
I am trying to put the text from 2 separate cells into one.

I have a name list. 925 entries.

I want to merge the first name and last name. How can I do this

using
this
function, and it not being stuck together. I want it to have a

space
separating first and last name. I keep trying the formula, but it

doesnt
seem to be working, I know I am doing something wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ikr

"Lauren" wrote in message
Something is still not working for me.

I will give an example. In cell A2 is - Adrienne in cell B2 is - Reilly

I want it to appear in cell A2 as Adrienne Reilly

The formula has to be in a third cell - you can't have it in one of the
source cells. Putting the formula

=CONCATENATE(A2," ",B2)

in cell C2 will show

Adrienne Reilly

or, as Peo says, just use

=A2&" "&B2

When I type the formula in a blank cell this is what I am putting

=CONCATENATE (A2, B2)

there's no space between "CONCATENATE" and "("