Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pjk@boro

Default flexisheet problem

My spreadsheet calculates hours worked based on start/finish times. Example
start 09:00 finish 12:30 = 03:30. That's ok. I also have a cell for
adjustments. if I enter 02:30, my final total will be 06:00. My problem is it
won't allow me to enter a minus figure in the adjustment cell. depending how
I format the cell, excel either says I can't enter it or ignores it in the
calculation.
Has anyone any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernie Deitrick

The easiest way - and the most maintainable - is to use two cells for your adjustment - one for
adding, and one for subtracting.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"pjk@boro" wrote in message
My spreadsheet calculates hours worked based on start/finish times. Example
start 09:00 finish 12:30 = 03:30. That's ok. I also have a cell for
adjustments. if I enter 02:30, my final total will be 06:00. My problem is it
won't allow me to enter a minus figure in the adjustment cell. depending how
I format the cell, excel either says I can't enter it or ignores it in the
calculation.
Has anyone any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernie Deitrick

Sorry, I realized that I stated my first reply poorly. Use two cells for adjustments, with the
adjustments both entered as positive values. Then use a formula that adds one and subtracts the
other from your total. So if your original formula was

=A2-A1

then change it to...

=A2-A1+A3-A4

where A3 has the added time and A4 has the negative adjustment....

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"pjk@boro" wrote in message
My spreadsheet calculates hours worked based on start/finish times. Example
start 09:00 finish 12:30 = 03:30. That's ok. I also have a cell for
adjustments. if I enter 02:30, my final total will be 06:00. My problem is it
won't allow me to enter a minus figure in the adjustment cell. depending how
I format the cell, excel either says I can't enter it or ignores it in the
calculation.
Has anyone any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pjk@boro

Bernie,
thanks for reply but, if I try entering e.g. -2:00, I get the message "the
formula you entered contains an error". Should I be formatting this cell
differently?