Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Markh

Default searching for repeating text

Howdy~
I am using excel to complete weekly employee reviews. The employee rating
is done on a point scale. E.g., outstanding= 10, good = 8....etc

In the reveiw an employee gets a rating from the total point unless they
score needs improvment in two or a unsatisfactory in a single feild.

Is there a way to scan short list of text and give a points total unless the
above paragraph is met.

For example, the rating could have 4 fields and two employee scores
Outstanding = 10
Outstanding = 10
Outstanding = 10
Outstanding = 10
or a total of 40 points = outstanding
but a different employee could score

Outstanding = 10
Outstanding = 10
Outstanding = 10
Unsatisfactory= 4

How can I scan to find that single "U" to give a rating of Unsatisfactory?
I cannot use points becuase this empoyees high marks in the frist three
categories would skew the numbers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Michael Gill

Hi Markh,

Have you tried using countif function? You could combine this with an IF
statement to indicate where there is a problem.

This formula will give you an unsatisfactory if the employees scores less
than 7 in more than one area of competence.
=IF(COUNTIF(B1:B5,"<7")1,"unsatisfactory","")

Hope this helps.
Michael

"Markh" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Markh

Thanks~
is it possible to do the same/simular command testing for a feild with a
certain text in it?
thanks in advance

"Markh" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Markh

sorry for id-ten-t error on the last post. I can use the following
=IF(COUNTIF(C21:H21,"U")1,"UNsat","")
but how can I add the more selection creteria
I need to check for two "U"'s and then for NI so i need to add the two
formula's together. adding the
=IF(COUNTIF(C21:H21,"NI")2,"NI","") to intergetate the same cell.

thanks

"Markh" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Michael Gill

Hi Mark,

This one should do it then, just nest the IF statements:
=IF(COUNTIF(C21:H21,"U")1,"UNsat",IF(COUNTIF(C21: H21,"NI")1,"NI",""))

Michael