Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Work Days

Default How do I calculate a difference in work days?

I have created a spreadsheet in which there is a committed ship date as
opposed to the actual ship date. However, I need this calculated difference
to be in work days. Does anyone have a formula for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
m m is offline

HI,
I need a formula to calculate the work days between 2 days, based on a
parameter. so if its 1 then the workdays formula works, but if its 2 then
only Sunday is a holiday. any suggestions?
also i want work days for each month from start date to end date.
-M

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Look in help for NETWORKDAYS, it's part of ATP which comes with Excel

Peo Sjoblom

"Work Days" <Work wrote in message
I have created a spreadsheet in which there is a committed ship date as
opposed to the actual ship date. However, I need this calculated

difference
to be in work days. Does anyone have a formula for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
m m is offline

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Look in help for NETWORKDAYS, it's part of ATP which comes with Excel

Peo Sjoblom

"Work Days" <Work wrote in message
I have created a spreadsheet in which there is a committed ship date as
opposed to the actual ship date. However, I need this calculated

difference
to be in work days. Does anyone have a formula for this?

Hi,

The help function for workdays does not say anything about calculating work
days that includes Saturday as a work day.
-M

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Does anyone know how you would calculate work days in hrs. So if the work day
is from 8am to 5pm and I want to calculate to number of hours between 2
dates. Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

"Work Days" wrote:

I have created a spreadsheet in which there is a committed ship date as
opposed to the actual ship date. However, I need this calculated difference
to be in work days. Does anyone have a formula for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

First you count the number of workdays, then multiply by 9 to get hours
worked on those days.

=NETWORKDAYS(A2,A14) where A2 is sept 11, 2008 and A14 is sept 23, 2008

Returns 9 days

Formula is =NETWORKDAYS(A2,A14)*9 returns 81 hours.

If employees get docked one hour for lunch, multiply by 8

NETWORKDAYS needs the Anaalysis Toolpak add-in loaded.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Work Days" wrote:

I have created a spreadsheet in which there is a committed ship date as
opposed to the actual ship date. However, I need this calculated difference
to be in work days. Does anyone have a formula for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DAH DAH is offline

Ok I tried that: =NETWORKDAYS(D7,E7)*8 where D7 = 10/2/2008 9:22 and E7 =
10/2/2008 11:24 and I received 192:00 as the answer.

The answer should be 2 hour and 2 minutes or 2:02.

Why did this not work? I need to make sure we are not counting weekends.
Would be nice if we could discount Holidays as well.

"Work Days" wrote:

I have created a spreadsheet in which there is a committed ship date as
opposed to the actual ship date. However, I need this calculated difference
to be in work days. Does anyone have a formula for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

NETWORKDAYS does not count Saturday and Sunday and there is a parameter to
discount holidays.

See help on networkdays functions.

Networkdays counts full days only.

You are trying to count hours worked during the same day.

I receive 0 from your posted values and formula.

Don't know how you get 192:00

For more on performing arithmetic with dates and time see Chip Pearson's
site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datearith.htm

Gord

"Work Days" wrote:

I have created a spreadsheet in which there is a committed ship date as
opposed to the actual ship date. However, I need this calculated difference
to be in work days. Does anyone have a formula for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

He's getting 192:00 because the NETWORKDAYS function is returning one day,
and it's been multiplied by 8, so the answer is 8 (meaning 8 hours), but
instead of formatting the answer as General or Number (as you intended) the
OP has presumably formatted the result as [h]:mm, thus causing what you
intended as a number of hours to be regarded as a number of days. 8 days is
192 hours.
--
David Biddulph

"Work Days" wrote:

I have created a spreadsheet in which there is a committed ship
date as opposed to the actual ship date. However, I need this
calculated difference to be in work days. Does anyone have a
formula for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks David.

I tested with improper cell formatting.

Gord

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:04:03 -0000, "David Biddulph" <groups [at]
biddulph.org.uk wrote:

He's getting 192:00 because the NETWORKDAYS function is returning one day,
and it's been multiplied by 8, so the answer is 8 (meaning 8 hours), but
instead of formatting the answer as General or Number (as you intended) the
OP has presumably formatted the result as [h]:mm, thus causing what you
intended as a number of hours to be regarded as a number of days. 8 days is
192 hours.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DAH DAH is offline

I found this through further research, but I believe it doesn't take into
account when something is received on a holiday. It takes into consideration
an 8 hour day starting from 8:00 a.m. - 17:00 and taking into consideration
our company holidays (C1:C8).

=(NETWORKDAYS(A1,A2,C1:C8)-1)*(B2-B1)+IF(NETWORKDAYS(A2,A2),MEDIAN(MOD(A2,1),B2,B1), B2)-MEDIAN(NETWORKDAYS(A1,A1)*MOD(A1,1),B2,B1)

dah I'm a she by the way... :)

"Work Days" wrote:

I have created a spreadsheet in which there is a committed ship
date as opposed to the actual ship date. However, I need this
calculated difference to be in work days. Does anyone have a
formula for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rescind the foregoing.

=networkdays(d7,e7) returns 0 for me when D7 and E7 are same day with the
times as OP posted

Gord

biddulph.org.uk wrote:

He's getting 192:00 because the NETWORKDAYS function is returning one day,
and it's been multiplied by 8, so the answer is 8 (meaning 8 hours), but
instead of formatting the answer as General or Number (as you intended) the
OP has presumably formatted the result as [h]:mm, thus causing what you
intended as a number of hours to be regarded as a number of days. 8 days is
192 hours.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe???

=IF(NETWORKDAYS(D7,E7)=1,((E7-D7)*24),NETWORKDAYS(D7,E7)*8)

Gord