Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John

Default Setting up a condtional function that....

I'm looking to set up a conditional function for two entire columns. Rather
than saying if A1="blank" I want to say if any of the cells in column
A="blank" than the corresponding C cell in that row will be "blank." So that
the c column in the entire spreadsheet is designed around that one formula
contingent upon any cell in the A column. Help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Not sure, maybe you mean something like,
In C1: =IF(COUNTA(A:A)=0,"",B1)
and with C1 copied down
--
Rgds
Max
"John" wrote in message
I'm looking to set up a conditional function for two entire columns.

Rather
than saying if A1="blank" I want to say if any of the cells in column
A="blank" than the corresponding C cell in that row will be "blank." So

that
the c column in the entire spreadsheet is designed around that one formula
contingent upon any cell in the A column. Help would be greatly

appreciated.
thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John

Well yes if A is blank. Basically, I have a returned material database in
excel in which I enter the items I receive. I have to enter three pieces of
data: the product number, serial number, and the product description. I want
to be able to type the product number in cell A and in turn, get the product
description in cell C. And i want to set up a function for that proceeds
through the entire excel sheet. If you know of an easier way or a better
program to use that would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

"John" wrote in message
I'm looking to set up a conditional function for two entire columns.

Rather
than saying if A1="blank" I want to say if any of the cells in column
A="blank" than the corresponding C cell in that row will be "blank." So

that
the c column in the entire spreadsheet is designed around that one formula
contingent upon any cell in the A column. Help would be greatly

appreciated.
thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Not sure, but sounds like a VLOOKUP* may be suitable

You might want to try Debra's page at:
(there's also a sample book available for d/l on her page)

*with error traps to return blanks if the lookup value is blank, and another
for unmatched cases possibly, something like:
=IF(A2="","",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(...)),"",VLOOKUP(...) ))

But do hang around awhile for Bob's response ..
--
Rgds
Max
"John" wrote in message
Well yes if A is blank. Basically, I have a returned material database in
excel in which I enter the items I receive. I have to enter three pieces

of
data: the product number, serial number, and the product description. I

want
to be able to type the product number in cell A and in turn, get the

product
description in cell C. And i want to set up a function for that proceeds
through the entire excel sheet. If you know of an easier way or a better
program to use that would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Line:
=IF(A2="","",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(...)),"",VLOOKUP(...) ))

reads better as:
=IF(A2="","",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2, ...)),"",VLOOKUP(A2, ...)))

Lookup values are assumed in A2 down
--
Rgds
Max

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM
Find a Function to use accross different worksheets R. Hale Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 25th 04 07:07 AM