Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tfleischny

Default How do I get the cell address of a VLOOKUP reference?

I'm trying to get the cell address, not the contents, of a cell referenced
using VLOOKUP. I've tried '=CELL("address", VLOOKUP(5,Table,2,false)', but
I'm getting a formula error. EXCEL 2003. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

One way:

=CELL("address",OFFSET(Table,MATCH(5,OFFSET(Table, ,,,1),FALSE)-1,1))

If you define Table to just be the first column of your table:

=CELL("address",OFFSET(Table,MATCH(5,Table,FALSE)-1,1))

VLOOKUP returns a value, not a range reference.

In article ,
"tfleischny" wrote:

I'm trying to get the cell address, not the contents, of a cell referenced
using VLOOKUP. I've tried '=CELL("address", VLOOKUP(5,Table,2,false)', but
I'm getting a formula error. EXCEL 2003. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Another way

=CELL("address",INDEX(Table,MATCH(7.5,INDEX(Table, ,1),0),2))

Peo Sjoblom

"tfleischny" wrote:

I'm trying to get the cell address, not the contents, of a cell

referenced
using VLOOKUP. I've tried '=CELL("address", VLOOKUP(5,Table,2,false)',

but
I'm getting a formula error. EXCEL 2003. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

In article ,
"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Another way

=CELL("address",INDEX(Table,MATCH(7.5,INDEX(Table, ,1),0),2))

Well, OK, if you want to be *efficient* about it...<g

Had OFFSET stuck in my head, obviously...Thanks for the correction!