Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
zomex

Default help

guys how can i generate a formula that would lead to even number letters
like"bush" "clay" "boss" "sale" "cout" to have capital letter of first and
third letter and rest smalls..... can u plz also tell me abt the formula that
would lead to the same result but contains odd numer of letters........ i
know that its a silly question but we have a nincompoop for a teacher
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JulieD

Hi

mmm, not really into doing other people's homework (and i don't think it's
such a bad exercise), so here's a few cluse for you:

with your word in A1

=MOD(LEN(A1),2)
will tell you whether it is "even" or "odd"

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))
will extract and capitalise the first letter of the word

=UPPER(MID(A1,3,1))
will extract and capitalise the third letter of the word)

=MID(A1,2,1)
will extract the second letter of the word

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3)
will extract the remaining letters of the word

the & can be used for joining things together, such as
=A1 & B1

now, if you put all the above info together you'll have your answer :)

have fun
--
JulieD

julied at hctsReMoVeThIs dot net dot au