Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trevor

Default Change over time fornula

Trying to calculate change % with a couple criteria. Here's what I'm doing...
Column a (labels) easy--data input
Column b (2004 number) easy--data input, all =0
Column c (2005 number) easy--data input, all =0
Column d (Change #) easy [=c2-b2] conditional format red font for neg#
Column e (Change %) here is the problem...I need to iclude all of these
conditions.
* if d2=0, then e2 should show "No Change" (or display 0%)...pretty easy so
far
* if there is a difference between b2 and c2, then change over time formula
is ((c2-b2)/b2). No problem s long as b2 is NOT zero
* trouble is, if b2=0 then I get a DIV error in the change over time
formula. I need any change from zero in 2004 to any number 0 in 2005 to
display "100%"

Would like some help creating a formula to care for this. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trevor

Disarmingly simple, it seems; works like a charm, thank you very much. I am
trying to understand what the formula does...(okay, besides the fact that it
works!)...may I ask you to break it down for me? It tells me that if b2 is
one or zero to divide the difference (d2) by the 2004 number (b2). Yes?

"bpeltzer" wrote: In e2: =if(b2=0,1,d2/b2). Format the result as a percent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

The formula says that if b2 is 0, return 1 (100%) as the result. Otherwise,
the result is d2/b2. --Bruce

"Trevor" wrote:

Disarmingly simple, it seems; works like a charm, thank you very much. I am
trying to understand what the formula does...(okay, besides the fact that it
works!)...may I ask you to break it down for me? It tells me that if b2 is
one or zero to divide the difference (d2) by the 2004 number (b2). Yes?

"bpeltzer" wrote: In e2: =if(b2=0,1,d2/b2). Format the result as a percent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trevor

Okay Bruce, on further review, there is a missing element he "* if d2=0,
then e2 should show "No Change" (or display 0%)." -- even if the numbers are
zero.

Using your suggested formula below, and considering the above criteria, when
the 2004 number is zero and the 2005 number is zero, cell e2 returns "100%"
when I was hoping for "0%" because a change from 0 to 0 is nil. Thoughts,
please?
Trevor

snip<