Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John

Default Is it Possible

Is is possible to determine the number of blank characters entered in a
cell? What I mean by Blank, is when the user uses the spacebar to clear the
contents of the cell

I have used =LEN but that returns a value for all characters blank and
otherwise.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John

Thanks Bob, very very clever

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))

--

HTH

RP

"John" wrote in message
Is is possible to determine the number of blank characters entered in a
cell? What I mean by Blank, is when the user uses the spacebar to clear

the
contents of the cell

I have used =LEN but that returns a value for all characters blank and
otherwise.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John

One twist on this Bob, is that, is it possible to just count the Blanks to
the left of the first word. In my cell two words entered are valid but that
means a blank between the first and second, so I would have to allow that.
My idea is that when I get a value 0 then I delete the contents of A1, but
if two words are typed in that would return 1 and in that case I would
incorrectly delete. Thus blanks before the first word are the entries that
are invalid

"John" wrote in message
Is is possible to determine the number of blank characters entered in a
cell? What I mean by Blank, is when the user uses the spacebar to clear

the
contents of the cell

I have used =LEN but that returns a value for all characters blank and
otherwise.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

"John" wrote...
One twist on this Bob, is that, is it possible to just count the Blanks to
the left of the first word. In my cell two words entered are valid but that
means a blank between the first and second, so I would have to allow that.
My idea is that when I get a value 0 then I delete the contents of A1, but
if two words are typed in that would return 1 and in that case I would
incorrectly delete. Thus blanks before the first word are the entries that
are invalid

If you want to eliminate leading spaces and would also accept eliminating
any trailing spaces and compressing any sequences of multiple spaces between
words into single spaces, use the TRIM function.

If you really want just the number of leading spaces, try

=FIND(LEFT(TRIM(A1),1),A1)-1