Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Default can I execute and 'substring' function in Excel

I have a cell that I need to fiding out what the 1st two characters in the
cell are AND then put a related character in another column.
Can I do this in Excel??????
--
Larry
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Larry

=LEFT(A1,1) will return the first character within cell A1
as will =MID(A1,1,1)
=MID(A1,2,1) will return the second character.

=CODE(MID(A1,1,1)) will return the ASCII code number of the first character

I hope that this will get you started.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Larry" wrote in message
I have a cell that I need to fiding out what the 1st two characters in the
cell are AND then put a related character in another column.
Can I do this in Excel??????
--
Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Roger,
Thanks a bunch. I've spent about 8 hours trying different functions without
any success. The three functions you gave me all worked but I had to use
=CODE and wrap it in an =IF statement so I could add the column.
I will be sure to use this site more often.
Absolutely a great job!
Happy New Year!
--
Larry

"Larry" wrote in message
I have a cell that I need to fiding out what the 1st two characters in the
cell are AND then put a related character in another column.
Can I do this in Excel??????
--
Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry

Roger,
I've developed an evaluation system for official calls.
I use a 'drop down' box to select a particular text comment that has a
deduction value attached to it. I've used the '&' to build a tab that has the
deduction value as the 1st value in the 'drop down' box.
I needed a way to select that number (1 to 5) from the 'drop down' box and
put it into the next column so I could use it in another worksheet to '=sum'
the column.
I was stuck on the part that you gave me - it was invaluable!
Now I've been able to go from a Linked structure for comments to a Drop Down
structure which will help the guys doing the evaluating.
Hope that give you an idea of what I was trying to do.
Thanks again,
Larry

"Roger Govier" wrote:

wrote
I have a cell that I need to fiding out what the 1st two characters
in the cell are AND then put a related character in another column.
Can I do this in Excel??????
--
Larry

Hi Larry
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm still not sure what you were actually trying to achieve, but if my
pointers helped then that's good.
Happy New Year to you also.

--
Regards