Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PK

Default Worksheet formulars

I am using Excell to extract and interigate information provided to me in a
spreadsheet format of fire rescue related incidents to allow me to identify
trends etc.

The spreadsheet consists of headed columns.
What I am trying to do is excell to look in different columns for a criteria
and then tell me how many entries match the criter.

For exmple Column Q may be a list of areas within the county, Column K may
be a list of incident types, m- a list of causes, j types of property and P
may be numbered category that the property type belongs.

What I need it to do is count how many rows match a criteria such as
Dwelling fires (identified as "-1" in P), Fire listed in column K, of
suspicious origin - Column M, in the area of Surrey Heath (listed in column Q)

I would very much appriciate any help anyone can offer
--
pk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barb Reinhardt

I'd probably do this with a PIVOT TABLE.
Go to MVPS.org and do a search for PIVOT Tables. I'd do it, but I need to
restart my computer to do it right now.

"PK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

You can use the sumproduct formula to count (or total) multiple conditions;
check http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html
You might also look at the DCOUNT function.

"PK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

I would suggest using the AutoFilter. Highlight all of the column headings
you want to be able to sort by. Then select "Data" from the menu bar and
then "Filter" then "AutoFilter".

Now, you should see dropdown arrows in each of your column headers. Simply
select the criteria for each column.

If you need a formula to count the displayed number of columns, you can use
this:

=SUBTOTAL(102,A:A)

I'd suggest putting it in Row 1 after all of your headers so that it never
gets filtered with the rest of your data.

HTH,
Elkar

"PK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

Google Search: pivot.table site:mvps.org
might be a good way to start given all the sites that reproduce
newsgroup postings, but once you find your way to 10 (soon to be 11) links at
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#pivottables
I think you are going to end up at:

the index page at Contextures.com
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

and to a Flash (Macromedia) presentation for an overview at
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm

Surprise there is more than one Flash presentation, but between
those two sites it would be hard to find better general information
on Pivot Tables.
---
HTH,