Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
scott

Default Is this possible

I have a cell that has a formula entered into it. At certain times in the
month of operations this cell with the formual needs to be replaced with a
meter reading. I have the worksheet protected expcept for this cell so people
can enter in the reading.ow is there another formual or way to tell when this
formula has been replaced with the reading, maybe in the form of another
formula in another cell.
Thanks in adavance
Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Hi Scott,

Why not use another cell to enter the reading?
And then your formula would be something like

=IF(A1="",YourOriginalFormula,A1)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"scott" wrote in message
I have a cell that has a formula entered into it. At certain times in the
month of operations this cell with the formual needs to be replaced with a
meter reading. I have the worksheet protected expcept for this cell so
people
can enter in the reading.ow is there another formual or way to tell when
this
formula has been replaced with the reading, maybe in the form of another
formula in another cell.
Thanks in adavance
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

If your formula is just setting a default value, try something like this
example:

A1: ="100"
Note: A1 will contain the "word" 10, but Excel can still treat it like a
number.

B1: =1*A1
(returns the number 100)

C1: =ISTEXT(A1)
--returns TRUE if the default formula (or text) is in Cell A1
--returns FALSE if a number is in Cell A1

Something you can work with?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"scott" wrote:

I have a cell that has a formula entered into it. At certain times in the
month of operations this cell with the formual needs to be replaced with a
meter reading. I have the worksheet protected expcept for this cell so people
can enter in the reading.ow is there another formual or way to tell when this
formula has been replaced with the reading, maybe in the form of another
formula in another cell.
Thanks in adavance
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
scott

Niek

I wanted to try and make this simple, maybe you have a suggestion. I
appreciate your suggestion but this is what happens. We have two different
chemical feeders. When we switch feeders on what ever day it is we need to
eneter in the meter readings. My ss is set up for entire month. So when the
meter reading is entered in it will carry over to the next day. Now on the
days that the feeder is changed I do not want the one reading to carry over,
now that that feeder would be taken out of service. I am looking for
something easy because of the number of people that is invloved. I would like
to just enter the reading (putting the feeder in or out of service) and not
have much confusion as to delete the old reading or not. Below is how I have
it now, remeber that the north feeder gets its reading from the day before if
it is in service. The south feeder is reset every day so I do not need to
carry that reading over. They both feed the same chemical but one is newer
and is reset every night.

North Feeder
cell b1-this is is blank to put the end of the days reading in
cell b2=if(b1, the day before0, b1,0)

South Feeder
c1-just eneter in reading because it is reset everyday.
The problem occurs when say we are using south feeder and then switch to
north feeder. We put in the reading on the south and then go to cell b2 and
eneter in the start up reading. Vice versa when we switch from north to
south. Hope you can get this.

Scott

"scott" wrote in message
I have a cell that has a formula entered into it. At certain times in the
month of operations this cell with the formual needs to be replaced with a
meter reading. I have the worksheet protected expcept for this cell so
people
can enter in the reading.ow is there another formual or way to tell when
this
formula has been replaced with the reading, maybe in the form of another
formula in another cell.
Thanks in adavance
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
scott

Niek
I forgot to mention that b1-b2 is chemical used

"scott" wrote in message
I have a cell that has a formula entered into it. At certain times in the
month of operations this cell with the formual needs to be replaced with a
meter reading. I have the worksheet protected expcept for this cell so
people
can enter in the reading.ow is there another formual or way to tell when
this
formula has been replaced with the reading, maybe in the form of another
formula in another cell.
Thanks in adavance
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kleev

It sounds as if knowing whether that cell has a formula is what you are
asking for. If you can use a UDF, the following seemed to work for me:

Function IsFormula(myRange As Range) As Boolean
If myRange.Range("a1").HasFormula Then IsFormula = True
End Function

and on the spreadsheet:

=isformula(C37)
returns either true or false
"scott" wrote:

I have a cell that has a formula entered into it. At certain times in the
month of operations this cell with the formual needs to be replaced with a
meter reading. I have the worksheet protected expcept for this cell so people
can enter in the reading.ow is there another formual or way to tell when this
formula has been replaced with the reading, maybe in the form of another
formula in another cell.
Thanks in adavance
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Otto Moehrbach

Scott
The following Worksheet_Change event macro will do what you say you
want. As long as the formula stays in that cell (B1 as written now) the
macro will not fire when the dependent values change resulting in a change
in the value displayed in B1. But if a value is entered in that cell,
replacing the formula, the macro will fire. Post back if you need help with
setting up this macro with your data.
Note that this macro has to be placed in the sheet module for the sheet
that contains that cell. To do this, right-click on the tab of that sheet,
select View Code, and paste this macro into that module. Click on the "X"
at the top right of the screen to return to your spreadsheet. HTH Otto
If Target.Address(0, 0) < "B1" Then Exit Sub
MsgBox "It changed."
End Sub