Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mr. App

Default Excel dropdown with text and value

Is it possible to create a dropdown in Excel that will act like an HTML
dropdown, meaning that when opening the dropdown we will see, for example,
the texts Red,Green,Yellow, and each one has it's own value, for example:
Red=1
Green=2
Yellow=3
So we will see the names in the dropdown but what i want after selecting an
option is to get it's value.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

Use a two column table, with the left column containing Red, Green, etc and
the 2d column containing the corresponding numeric values. In the
Data-Validation dialog, choose List and use the left column of the table as
your source. Then simply do a vlookup on the user's choice to determine the
correct value

"mr. App" wrote:

Is it possible to create a dropdown in Excel that will act like an HTML
dropdown, meaning that when opening the dropdown we will see, for example,
the texts Red,Green,Yellow, and each one has it's own value, for example:
Red=1
Green=2
Yellow=3
So we will see the names in the dropdown but what i want after selecting an
option is to get it's value.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish

You could do this with programming. There's a sample workbook on my web
site that shows a product name and code in the Data Validation dropdown
list. After an item is selected, the cell shows only the product name.
You may be able to adapt this to your workbook.

On the following page:

Under Data Validation, look for "Data Validation Columns"

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List