Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PCLIVE

Default Designating a workbook reference base on a cells contents

I saw this in another post and I thought that if it was reworded, it might
make it easier to understand. In the formula below, at the point where it
says "Book2.xls", I was wondering if there would be a way to have "2"
designated by the contents of a cell in the current worksheet. For example,
A1 contains 2. It could be any number, but I want the file reference to
change based on the contens of A1. Is this possible?

='C:\temp\[Book2.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1

Thanks,
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Yes and no, if the linked workbook is open (so no need for the path) you can
use INDIRECT

=INDIRECT("'[Book"&A1&"]Sheet1'!D1")

if not there are some workarounds, easiest is probably a UDF, Harlan Grove
has a function called PULL and Laurent Longre has an add-in called Morefunc
that has a function called INDIRECTT

ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/

http://xcell05.free.fr/

Peo Sjoblom

"PCLIVE" wrote in message
I saw this in another post and I thought that if it was reworded, it might
make it easier to understand. In the formula below, at the point where it
says "Book2.xls", I was wondering if there would be a way to have "2"
designated by the contents of a cell in the current worksheet. For

example,
A1 contains 2. It could be any number, but I want the file reference to
change based on the contens of A1. Is this possible?

='C:\temp\[Book2.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1

Thanks,
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PCLIVE

Thanks Peo,

As you said, it does work if the workbook is open. However, since the
Workbook reference is subject to change based on A1, then this won't be the
route that I'll take. I will look into the other suggestions you gave.

Thanks again,
Paul