Tony Moffat

Default Number format-numbers appear as dates in Excel

Numbers that I enter appear as 01-Apr when I really want them to be 4/1
(four to one)..

and..

time entered as 01:06:34 I want to convert to
66.34 seconds....

any help for pensioner, Thanks

Tony

JulieD

Hi Tony

in excel if you want 4/1 to appear as 4/1 you need to treat it as text, so
either format the cell first as text (format / cells - number tab, choose
text) before entering the number OR when entering the number type a ' in
front of it (e.g. '4/1) - it won't show and won't print but will force excel
to belive you :)

sorry can't help with the second question, i don't get "time" in excel.

Cheers
JulieD

"Tony Moffat" wrote in message
Numbers that I enter appear as 01-Apr when I really want them to be 4/1
(four to one)..

and..

time entered as 01:06:34 I want to convert to
66.34 seconds....

any help for pensioner, Thanks

Tony

Wildcard

Hi Tony

Your problem is you haven't told Excel what you want so it's telling you
what it thinks you want.

easiest way to sort this out is to select the cell, row, column, range,
whatever, right click your mouse and select format cells.

then in the first tab, number, select custom. overtype what's in the box on
the right with your format. if you put in 01-Apr-2004 and you want it to
read 4/1 then in the box type m/d m for month d for day / as a seperator.
for the hours and minutes mm for minutes ss for seconds hh for hours etc.

hope this helps.

Jason