Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
carl

Default Pivot Table Question

I have data like this:

ABC BOX1
EFG BOX2
HIJ BOX3
KLM BOX4

And would like to use the Pivot Table to count the unique values in ColA:

BOX1 1
BOX2 1
BOX3 1
BOX4 1

For some reason, I am getting the following:

BOX1 2
BOX2 1
BOX3 1
BOX4 1

Thank you in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
William Horton

Pivot table Count just counts the records. Not just the unique values. There
are 2 records that have BOX1 in column B. Both of them have values ABC in
column A. No matter what the column A values were, however, the pivot table
would still count 2 BOX1's.

"carl" wrote:

I have data like this:

ABC BOX1
ABC BOX1
EFG BOX2
HIJ BOX3
KLM BOX4

And would like to use the Pivot Table to count the unique values in ColA:

BOX1 1
BOX2 1
BOX3 1
BOX4 1

For some reason, I am getting the following:

BOX1 2
BOX2 1
BOX3 1
BOX4 1

Thank you in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish

A pivot table won't count unique values, but there's a workaround here,
if you're using an Excel list as the source:

http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Unique

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List