Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Andy the yeti

Default Multiple Sum, based on criteria

Hi all,

Many thanks if you can help me with this.

I have a table of 5 columns and 330 rows of data, in column A, each cell has
one of the numbers from 1 to 8. So for example 4 could be repeated around 40
times.

What I would like to do is add up all the numbers in columns B, C, D & E
dependant on which one of the 8 numbers is in column A. So I would get a
total for all the 1s, a total for all the 2s etc at the bottom of each of
the columns

Hope this makes sense and thank you

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ikr

"Andy the yeti" wrote in message
Hi all,

Many thanks if you can help me with this.

I have a table of 5 columns and 330 rows of data, in column A, each cell
has
one of the numbers from 1 to 8. So for example 4 could be repeated around
40
times.

What I would like to do is add up all the numbers in columns B, C, D & E
dependant on which one of the 8 numbers is in column A. So I would get a
total for all the 1's, a total for all the 2's etc at the bottom of each
of
the columns

Hope this makes sense and thank you

Andy

Use SUMPRODUCT to test multiple criteria (SUMIF can use only one criterion).

See this:

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Try this:

A335: 1
A336: 2
A337: 3
etc

B335: =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$330=A335)*($B$2:$E$330))
Copy that formula down as far as needed.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Andy the yeti" wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks if you can help me with this.

I have a table of 5 columns and 330 rows of data, in column A, each cell has
one of the numbers from 1 to 8. So for example 4 could be repeated around 40
times.

What I would like to do is add up all the numbers in columns B, C, D & E
dependant on which one of the 8 numbers is in column A. So I would get a
total for all the 1s, a total for all the 2s etc at the bottom of each of
the columns

Hope this makes sense and thank you

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Andy the yeti

Thank you very much, those options are pefect.

Have a great Xmas all !!

A.

"ikr" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

SUMIF and OR would also work for multiple conditions.

Try at the bottom of B assuming that is the column to sum if A has a 1
or a 2 in it.

{=SUM(IF(OR($A$22:$A$27=1,A22:A27=2),$B$22:$B$27,0 ))}

Change the conditions for each column to sum as needed.

Commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter as this is an array formula.

Cheers,

Steve

--
SteveG