Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rostroncarlyle

Default TOTAL NUMBER OF ENTRIES

I have a list of files in an Excelt document that has alpha, numeric and date
columns. I would like to total the number of entries (not cells). Please
advise the formula to do this. I don't mind if I use an alpha column or a
numeric or date column to obtain this total.
I did have a response from Biff (which I can't locate) telling me to use
=COUNTA(range) but I couldn't get this to work. Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Billigmeier

Well what determines an "entry" then? My guess would have been every
populated cell as well.

Dave

"rostroncarlyle" wrote:

I have a list of files in an Excelt document that has alpha, numeric and date
columns. I would like to total the number of entries (not cells). Please
advise the formula to do this. I don't mind if I use an alpha column or a
numeric or date column to obtain this total.
I did have a response from Biff (which I can't locate) telling me to use
=COUNTA(range) but I couldn't get this to work. Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

=COUNTA(range)

Range is the range of cells that you want to include in the count. Such as:

=COUNTA(A1:A100)

Or

=COUNTA(A1:G1000)

COUNTA will count both text and numeric entries.

Biff

"rostroncarlyle" wrote in message
I have a list of files in an Excelt document that has alpha, numeric and
date
columns. I would like to total the number of entries (not cells).
Please
advise the formula to do this. I don't mind if I use an alpha column or
numeric or date column to obtain this total.
I did have a response from Biff (which I can't locate) telling me to use
=COUNTA(range) but I couldn't get this to work. Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rostroncarlyle

Biff

Forgive my stupidity, but do I enter the formula on the blank line
immediately following the last entry, please? Yes, the entries list files
on hand and their current situation. I actually wrote =COUNTA(A3:A114) as
the formula but nothing happened.

Many thanks for your assistance.

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

=COUNTA(range)

Range is the range of cells that you want to include in the count. Such as:

=COUNTA(A1:A100)

Or

=COUNTA(A1:G1000)

COUNTA will count both text and numeric entries.

Biff

"rostroncarlyle" wrote in message
I have a list of files in an Excelt document that has alpha, numeric and
date
columns. I would like to total the number of entries (not cells).
Please
advise the formula to do this. I don't mind if I use an alpha column or
numeric or date column to obtain this total.
I did have a response from Biff (which I can't locate) telling me to use
=COUNTA(range) but I couldn't get this to work. Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

do I enter the formula on the blank line
immediately following the last entry, please?

You can enter the formula anywhere you want *EXCEPT* within the range that
the formula is counting. The bottom of a column of data is the typical place
most people put their formulas.

I actually wrote =COUNTA(A3:A114) as
the formula but nothing happened.

Explain *EXACTLY* what that means.

After you typed that in and hit ENTER, what is being displayed in the cell?

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Yes, you can enter the formula in any blank cell on the worksheet.

"Nothing" means what?

Blank cell? 0 in cell? Error in cell? The formula shows in cell?

If you have any data in A3:A114 you should get a number in the cell in which
you wrote the fomula.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP