Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
maurices5000

Default Linking WorkBOOKS across directories

I found this information on Microsoft's website but i don't fully
understand it because it is giving me trouble.

Network drive letters in links When you click a cell containing a link
and the source workbook is closed, you'll see the full path to the
source workbook. The path uses the drive letter you have mapped to the
share. The links continue to work correctly for other users who map
different drive letters to the same share.

You can edit linking formulas to use UNC names, such as
\\myserver\myshare, instead of drive letters. UNC names can make links
easier to update when several people will use a linking workbook,
because Excel can update links that use UNC names even if users don't
have a drive letter mapped to the network share. For example, you can
change ='G:\[source.xls]Prices'!B5 to
='\\myserver\myshare\[source.xls]Prices'!B5. However, using UNC names
can also reduce calculation speed, especially if your workbooks use
calculation-intensive features such as the Solver add-in program.

I'm QUITE A FEW (maybe about 100 workbooks) that will be connected
based on department and center.

A few problems. Once i do a department, i plan to save ALL SIMILAR
Departments in different CENTER FOLDERS.

I've been afraid to use C: etc because i don't want to have to redo all
my links since i don't know what letter or where exactly from the root
the files will be placed on the server.

The other problem is that everytime i used teh
"='\\myserver\myshare\[source.xls]Prices'!B5" type link, a dialog box
pops up asking me to go directly to the file i want to link to.
Otherwise it gives me a REF error. I can't possibly go to all these
files. I need to be able to cut and paste these paths and maybe use
CTRL + F (for Find) and do minor maintenance.

Any suggestions? I assume the more generic version was created to make
it more portable across teh nextwork with out all the links breaking
down, but i can't figure it out.

thanks!

--
maurices5000
maurices5000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5229

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
maurices5000

No one has tried to link two workbooks together?