Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pasko1

Default Statistical smoothing a range of numbers - match average more clos

I have a range of numbers listed below. I want to smooth them out to be
closer to the average of 423,000. I would like to set a minumum of 350,000
and a maximum of 575,000 or thereabouts. Which statistical function(s)
should I use?

507,946
713,695
413,505
256,822
277,154
794,495
679,093
178,376
308,652
449,225
698,341
363,686
375,933
264,610
498,582
310,760
342,731
620,156
355,224
340,426
247,197
295,597
291,706
369,606
462,799
583,680

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike Middleton

Pasko1 -

If your data are monthly time sequence observations, and if you wanted a
trend line for subsequent seasonal analysis, you would use a moving average
with period of 12. In Excel, you could create a Line chart and add a moving
average trend line. Or, you could perform the same calculations on a
worksheet using the AVERAGE worksheet function.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com