Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Angela

Default Gathering and Combinging Data in 2 Spreadsheets

Ok - this is almost what I need. Except that for each contact name in the
one sheet, I need to have the origin of the contact displayed from the other
sheet. For instance, I have John Doe, 1234 What Street, What City, etc. in
sheet 2. I need to find the same John Doe in sheet 1 and have whatever is in
the "Origin" column of sheet1 displayed in the "Origin" Column of sheet 2.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Look at VLOOKUP - this will link the two files. Come back if you have
questions; we can show you how to use Paste Special to break the link
between the two files
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Angela" wrote in message
I have 2 workbooks. The first workbook is a compilation of approximately
15,000 contacts. The second workbook is a copy of the first. Someone
eliminated a very important column in the second workbook. This column
contained the employee name that the contact originated from. I can not
just
there have been multiple revisions, deletions and additions to the second
work book.

I need a way to match each name in the second workbook to their name in
the
original workbook so that I can capture the origin for that contact name
which is only contained in the first workbook. Any idea how I can do
that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

Please explain why VLOOKUP would not work for you.
ttp://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

---
HTH,

"Angela" wrote in message
I have 2 workbooks. The first workbook is a compilation of approximately
15,000 contacts. The second workbook is a copy of the first. Someone
eliminated a very important column in the second workbook. This column
contained the employee name that the contact originated from. I can not
just
there have been multiple revisions, deletions and additions to the second
work book.

I need a way to match each name in the second workbook to their name in
the
original workbook so that I can capture the origin for that contact name
which is only contained in the first workbook. Any idea how I can do
that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Angela

Well €“ Im not sure. Here is the scenario:

I have a worksheet called €śOriginal€ť and I have another worksheet called
€śFinal€ť

The column names in €śOriginal€ť are List Origin, Title, FirstName, LastName,
Title, etc.
The columns names in €śFinal€ť are exactly the same (No Phone or Fax numbers,
however).
The exception is there is nothing in the €śList Origin€ť column of the €śFinal€ť
worksheet.
The column range in €śOriginal is €śA2 to S17752€ť
The column range in €śFinal€ť is €śA2 to P11905€ť
I need to search the First Name and Last Name in €śOriginal€ť and where they
match return the €śList Origin€ť for that person in €śFinal€ť

I have tried different Vlookup formulas, and I just dont seem to be able to
make it happen. What do you think?