Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shams

Default Converting text into Date Value

Folks,
Dates in a certain file were typed in an informal manner: i.e. Sep-21-2005.
Now, since this was entered as a text, Excel is not evaluating it as a Date
Format at all (even after I format the cell accordingly). This is what I
have done so far:

I have used the left, mid and right functions to separate out the variables
in 3 distinct columns - Sep (in Col. A), 21 (Col B), 2005 (Col C)

What should I do next? My goal is to present the result as 09/21/2005 (Date
Format). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shams.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Vito

If your original text format still exists, then there shouldn't be a
need to split them up.

Select the cells containing the dates, then go to DateText to Columns
and skip to the 3rd dialogue. From the date drop down, select MDY and
then click Finish.

The cells should now be true dates. You can then format them however
you want through FormatCells

--
Vito
Vito's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29182