Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
nerdman

Default adding and divideing by a the number of cells!

Hey guys im making an excell document, i want to make a function that
does this :
adds all the filled out cells(not the empty ones) and divides them by
their number (again ignoring the empty ones) so that if i have a row
A1-10 it counts all the cells filled out and divides them by their
number im not good at english but i know there is a word for that
m-something... so could you guys *Fully* explain? You see if the
teacher asks me how i did itt i have to explain and understand thanx!

zAk

--
nerdman
nerdman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29614

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

=AVERAGE(A1:A10)

=SUM(A1:A10)/COUNT(A1:A10)

Peo Sjoblom

"nerdman" wrote in
message ...

Hey guys im making an excell document, i want to make a function that
does this :
adds all the filled out cells(not the empty ones) and divides them by
their number (again ignoring the empty ones) so that if i have a row
A1-10 it counts all the cells filled out and divides them by their
number im not good at english but i know there is a word for that
m-something... so could you guys *Fully* explain? You see if the
teacher asks me how i did itt i have to explain and understand thanx!

zAk

--
nerdman
nerdman's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493444

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=AVERAGE(A1:A10)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"nerdman" wrote in
message ...

Hey guys im making an excell document, i want to make a function that
does this :
adds all the filled out cells(not the empty ones) and divides them by
their number (again ignoring the empty ones) so that if i have a row
A1-10 it counts all the cells filled out and divides them by their
number im not good at english but i know there is a word for that
m-something... so could you guys *Fully* explain? You see if the
teacher asks me how i did itt i have to explain and understand thanx!

zAk

--
nerdman
nerdman's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493444

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

Zak,

Sounds like you just need a simple average of cells containing values.

Use,

=AVERAGE(A1:A10)

The function will ignore blank cells. AVERAGE adds up the values in
the list and then divides that sum by the number of non-blank cells.

Cheers,

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

I think the AVERAGE function will satisfy your request:

B1: =AVERAGE(A1:A10)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"nerdman" wrote:

Hey guys im making an excell document, i want to make a function that
does this :
adds all the filled out cells(not the empty ones) and divides them by
their number (again ignoring the empty ones) so that if i have a row
A1-10 it counts all the cells filled out and divides them by their
number im not good at english but i know there is a word for that
m-something... so could you guys *Fully* explain? You see if the
teacher asks me how i did itt i have to explain and understand thanx!

zAk

--
nerdman
nerdman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29614
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493444

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

Since you are supposed to be learning something, go read about the SUM() and
COUNTIF() functions. With that headstart and a little thinking on your part,
you should get a top grade!

"nerdman" wrote:

Hey guys im making an excell document, i want to make a function that
does this :
adds all the filled out cells(not the empty ones) and divides them by
their number (again ignoring the empty ones) so that if i have a row
A1-10 it counts all the cells filled out and divides them by their
number im not good at english but i know there is a word for that
m-something... so could you guys *Fully* explain? You see if the
teacher asks me how i did itt i have to explain and understand thanx!

zAk

--
nerdman
nerdman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29614
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493444

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Hi
If I understand correctly, you are trying to calculate the 'average' of a
selection of figures? This will add all the figures together and then divide
the answer by the number of figures you have.

If this is what you want:-

1. Go to the cell you want the answer in.
2. Click onto the drop down arrow beside AutoSum and choose Average.
3. Highlight the cells you wish to calculate.
4. Press Enter.

It will give you a calculation of =Average(A1:A10)

HTH

Louise