Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jacob

Default Linking 2 workbooks

How do you link a cell to another cell in a different workbook?

for example:
Book1 Sheet1 cell A1 to Book2 Sheet2 cell A2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Jacob

On sheet1 in cell A1
=Sheet2!A2

Regards

Roger Govier

jacob wrote:
How do you link a cell to another cell in a different workbook?

for example:
Book1 Sheet1 cell A1 to Book2 Sheet2 cell A2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jacob

Thanks Roger, but i'm NOT asking about WorkSHEETS, but instead two workBOOKS.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Jacob

On sheet1 in cell A1
=Sheet2!A2

Regards

Roger Govier

jacob wrote:
How do you link a cell to another cell in a different workbook?

for example:
Book1 Sheet1 cell A1 to Book2 Sheet2 cell A2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Jacob

Apologies, I didn't read the question correctly
Try
=[Workbook2.xls]Sheet2!A2

Regards

Roger Govier

jacob wrote:
Thanks Roger, but i'm NOT asking about WorkSHEETS, but instead two workBOOKS.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Jacob

On sheet1 in cell A1
=Sheet2!A2

Regards

Roger Govier

jacob wrote:

How do you link a cell to another cell in a different workbook?

for example:
Book1 Sheet1 cell A1 to Book2 Sheet2 cell A2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jacob

Thanks very much ROGER!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jacob

Thank you Roger. I had said this earlier for for some reason it doesn't
appear posted here. thanks!

"jacob" wrote:

How do you link a cell to another cell in a different workbook?

for example:
Book1 Sheet1 cell A1 to Book2 Sheet2 cell A2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Jacob

You're very welcome. Thanks for the feedback

Regards

Roger Govier

"jacob" wrote:

How do you link a cell to another cell in a different workbook?

for example:
Book1 Sheet1 cell A1 to Book2 Sheet2 cell A2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tcgaines

what if the range is undertermined?

=[Workbook2.xls]Sheet2!(until the last record)

thanks.

--
tcgaines
tcgaines's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29608

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi
There are many ways of creating named dynamic ranges.
e.g
myrange=OFFSET($A$1,0,0,COUNTA($A$1:$A$1000),12)
This would give a 12 column range, with length determined by the number of
rows containing values in column A, between 1 and 1000 in this case. This
assumes that there are no gaps in the data in column A.

Then change the formula to
=[Workbooks2.xls]Sheet2!myrange

Regards

Roger Govier

tcgaines wrote:
what if the range is undertermined?

=[Workbook2.xls]Sheet2!(until the last record)

thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fabiano

Default Linking 3 workbooks sheets to master workbook template

How can open my master template workbook and have the information from 3
separate workbook sheets load into my master workbook.

I have three Reports that I poll everyday with Crystal Reports. These 3
reports are then exported into excel as 3 separate workbook sheets.

I now have them linked to my master template workbook with special paste
links.

Problem is that I have to have all 4 books open for the information to
update in master book.

I need it to just automatically link the information or copy the sheets over
to mastertemplate daily.

How can this be achieved? The needs to be a simplier way to do this. To
had to try my staff. Too many different reports to work with.

"jacob" wrote:

How do you link a cell to another cell in a different workbook?

for example:
Book1 Sheet1 cell A1 to Book2 Sheet2 cell A2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
plngarbage

Hi Fabiano. Did you ever figure out how to do this? I am trying to do
something similar. Also, how did you get the separate workbook sheets to
load into your master workbook?

"fabiano" wrote:

How can open my master template workbook and have the information from 3
separate workbook sheets load into my master workbook.

I have three Reports that I poll everyday with Crystal Reports. These 3
reports are then exported into excel as 3 separate workbook sheets.

I now have them linked to my master template workbook with special paste
links.

Problem is that I have to have all 4 books open for the information to
update in master book.

I need it to just automatically link the information or copy the sheets over
to mastertemplate daily.

How can this be achieved? The needs to be a simplier way to do this. To
had to try my staff. Too many different reports to work with.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
fabiano

Hi

Copy the cells from the sheet or workbook that you have the data in, to the
cells that you want them to appear in the master workbook.

To do this you have to copy the cell or cells and then do a (paste special)
and pick(paste link) this will refference the cell or cells to your master
workbook.

Once you have done this you can link your other work books from the master
workbook by picking Edit and then link and the pick your source files.

To update the master choose open

Highlight the ones that you want to link and use open source.

Hope this helps you out