Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Terri

Default retain formatting as an actual value

Hello,
I have a cell value formatted as Accounting 0000000000 (10 places). How can
I convert this formatted value to an actual text value? Example: A1 is
actually 2525, but appears as 0000002525. I want to have B1 have an actual
text value of '0000002525.

Thank you!
Terri
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

See if this works for you:
format the cells as Text

FormatCellsNumber tab
Category: TEXT

Then, anything you type into those cells will be treated as text.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Terri" wrote:

Hello,
I have a cell value formatted as Accounting 0000000000 (10 places). How can
I convert this formatted value to an actual text value? Example: A1 is
actually 2525, but appears as 0000002525. I want to have B1 have an actual
text value of '0000002525.

Thank you!
Terri

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

I'm sorry....my fault for not clarifying.

The cell contents will still be 2525...formatting won't change that.
But, here's something to try:
A1: 2525
B1: =TEXT(A1,"0000000000")

Then Copy B1
Select A1
EditPaste SpecialValues

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

"Terri" wrote:

Ron,
Formatting as text didn't change the actual cell content. The formula bar
still displays the 2525 and not the '0000002525. Any other suggestions?