Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Robertgn

Default Still trying to figure it out

I am desperately trying to learn how to use Excel and am very new and am
not a math whiz to boot. I'm probably trying to run before I can walk in
trying to use the "if" function.

All I'm attempting to do is tell a cell to provide one answer if so and
so and another answer is so and so. In other words here is my original
formula:
=(AD5+AE5)*AF5*3.40-.21. This is where the "if" comes into play ( I
think). If AD5+AE5 is less than (4) I want to subtract the (.21) for
the end results; if AD5+AE5 is more than (4) and less than (8) I want
to subtract (.8) from the end results.
If AD5+AE5 is more than (12) and less than (20) I want subtract (1.3)
from the end results etc.

I started this thread earlier today and both response were good (I
guess) but both came up with an answer of .21 no matter what value I
use for AD5 and AE5. I admit I had an error in my first thread about
(12) and (20) but I have tried to correct it here. Perhaps someone can
still help.

Thanks,
Robertgn

--
Robertgn
Robertgn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29518

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
wjohnson

Robert If I understand what you are trying to do here is the solution.
=IF((A2+B2)<4,(A2+B2-0.21),IF(AND((A2+B2)4,(A2+B2)<8),(A2+B2-0.8),IF(AND((A2+B2)12,(A2+B2)<20),(A2+B2-1.3),"Check")))

The extra () around A2+B2) are what I add - old school way of doing
things.

You need to insert an "AND" function for your 4 and <8, same with you
12 and <20

the "Check" is what I use to tell me if my functions have an error in
them for whatever reason. You will get a check if the Cell equals A2+B2
= 4, 8, 12, 20.
Just substitute the A2 and B2 for the cells you want to substract
from.

If your .21, .8 or 1.3 change - you should put them in a cell and make
a reference to that cell.

When you use an IF(AND) statement and close the "AND" part you will
usually get an "error message" just ignore it then "click" on the "IF"
you need to complete and everything should work.

Hope this helps you out.

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m390

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Robertgn

Thanks so much WJ; this opens up a whole new world for me. I have it
going on now.

rgn