Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Robertgn

Default Don't know how

I am desperately trying to learn how to use Excel and am very new and am
not a math whiz to boot. I'm probably trying to run before I can walk
in trying to use the "if" function.

All I'm attempting to do is tell a cell to provide one answer if so and
so and another answer is so and so. In other words here is my original
formula:
=(AD5+AE5)*AF5*3.40275-.21. This is where the "if" comes into play. If
AD5+AE5 is less than (4) I want to subtract the (.21) for the end
results; if AD5+AE5 is more than (4) and less than (8) I want to
subtract (.8) from the end results.
If AD5+AE5 is less than (12) and more than (20) I want subtract (1.3)
from the end results etc.

If someone could just get me started with this simple formula I think I
can get a handle on how the "if" function works.

Further, I am very new to this forum and once I leave this sight I'm
not sure I'll know how to retrieve the answer so I would like to leave
my email address here so someone can tell me what to do next.

Thanks for anyone's help.
Robertgn

--
Robertgn
Robertgn's Profile:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

One possible way

=(AD5+AE5)*AF5*3.40275-VLOOKUP(AD5+AE5,{0,0.21;4,0.8;8,1.3},2)

there are some discrepancies in your description, I can't see how a value
can be

"less than (12) and more than (20)"

it can be less than 12 or more than 20 but not AND

anyway it can be done using something similar or using if9and(or etc

Peo Sjoblom

"Robertgn" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Search33

Not sure how something would be less than 12 and more than 20...but here's
the rest of it.

=(AD5+AE5)*AF5*3.40275-(IF((AD5+AE5)<4,0.21,IF((AD5+AE5)<8,0.8,if((AD5+AE 5)<12,1.3))))

the way an if statement works is you put in your condition for example
"if(A11," then you put a comma, then what you want to show up if the
condition is true. Then another comma, and what you want to show up when the
condition is false.
so =if(a11,"A1 is one","A1 is not one")
will return "A1 is one" when A1 is one and "A1 is not one" when it is not.
if your case, when the condition is false, you want to go on to check the
next thing. So your false section starts another if statement.

I hope this makes sense for you.
Good Luck
"Robertgn" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Robertgn

With either of the two responses that I have -- I get a .21 for my
answer no matter what value I use for AD5 and AE5. I understand that I
had my senario wrong about the (12) and (20) to start with and went back
and edited it.

Thanks for all your help,
Robertgn

--