Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Charles

Default Using "$" to reference same column in every row

In column F of every row will be a particular value, let's say, "XYZ".

I want to use Conditional Formatting so that the the whole ROW turns to a
yellow background if column F of THAT row has a value of "XYZ" in it.

I use "Formula is"... =$F$2="XYZ", but when I copy the formatting to other
rows using "AutoFill" all the cells point to F2's value instead of the F in
its own row.

What am I missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

Use

CF1: Formula is =$F2="XYZ"

This assumes that row 2 contains the active cell when you input the CF.

In article ,
"Charles" wrote:

In column F of every row will be a particular value, let's say, "XYZ".

I want to use Conditional Formatting so that the the whole ROW turns to a
yellow background if column F of THAT row has a value of "XYZ" in it.

I use "Formula is"... =$F$2="XYZ", but when I copy the formatting to other
rows using "AutoFill" all the cells point to F2's value instead of the F in
its own row.

What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Charles

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I'd like to copy this formula for every cell in the entire sheet, so that
for EACH ROW that has "XYZ" in its own column F it will turn the background
yellow.

When I copy the formatting, the formula in the Conditional Formatting still
points to F2 when I want it to point to the F(?) of its own row. Does that
make sense?

"Charles" wrote:

In column F of every row will be a particular value, let's say, "XYZ".

I want to use Conditional Formatting so that the the whole ROW turns to a
yellow background if column F of THAT row has a value of "XYZ" in it.

I use "Formula is"... =$F$2="XYZ", but when I copy the formatting to other
rows using "AutoFill" all the cells point to F2's value instead of the F in
its own row.

What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

You were clear. You can select the entire sheet and enter the CF I gave
you. The only change would be if a cell in a row other than row 2 was
active.

For instance, if cell B7 were active, then the CF would be

Formula is =$F7="XYZ"

XL will adjust the row numbers accordingly.

"Charles" wrote:

In column F of every row will be a particular value, let's say, "XYZ".

I want to use Conditional Formatting so that the the whole ROW turns to a
yellow background if column F of THAT row has a value of "XYZ" in it.

I use "Formula is"... =$F$2="XYZ", but when I copy the formatting to
other
rows using "AutoFill" all the cells point to F2's value instead of the F
in
its own row.

What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Charles

Ah, I see now... I highlight the entire sheet, then go to FORMAT|CONDITIONAL
FORMATTING and put in Formula is =$F1="XYZ". Then chose the background
color. It worked like a charm. Thank you.