Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Default nested if function

I am trying to create a nested IF function (has 5 IF statements), however,
every time I put the brackets at the end of the function, it puts a little .
next to the false answer, removes the brackets and comes up with an error
message??

This is only happening on one particular PC, when I create the same formula
on other pC's, it works fine so I know my formula is correct.

is there a setting on the PC that must be wrong???

Help.....!!

Thank you

Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Hi Louise,

What is your formula and what error message do you get?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

.
next to the false answer, removes the brackets and comes up with an error
message??

This is only happening on one particular PC, when I create the same
formula
on other pC's, it works fine so I know my formula is correct.

is there a setting on the PC that must be wrong???

Help.....!!

Thank you

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 03:20:01 -0800, Louise
wrote:

I am trying to create a nested IF function (has 5 IF statements), however,
every time I put the brackets at the end of the function, it puts a little .
next to the false answer, removes the brackets and comes up with an error
message??

This is only happening on one particular PC, when I create the same formula
on other pC's, it works fine so I know my formula is correct.

is there a setting on the PC that must be wrong???

Help.....!!

Thank you

Louise

Could it be a regional settings difference? (Start/Control Panel/Regional and
Language settings). Some use a semicolon for a separator vs a comma.

If not, post your formula and sample data inputs and expected outputs.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Thanks for your reply.
I've been into the Regional Settings and can't find anyhthing relating to
using commas as separators?? Where are they??

Below is the formula I am using - it works fine on all other PC's, except
this one??

=IF(I380,"A",IF(I370,"B",IF(I360,"C",IF(I340," D","U"))))

It is basicall calcualting the score for students, obviously the higher the
score, the better the grade. When I try to enter the four sets of brackets
at the end, that's where the error appears.

Thanks again.

wrote:

I am trying to create a nested IF function (has 5 IF statements), however,
every time I put the brackets at the end of the function, it puts a little .
next to the false answer, removes the brackets and comes up with an error
message??

This is only happening on one particular PC, when I create the same formula
on other pC's, it works fine so I know my formula is correct.

is there a setting on the PC that must be wrong???

Help.....!!

Thank you

Louise

Could it be a regional settings difference? (Start/Control Panel/Regional and
Language settings). Some use a semicolon for a separator vs a comma.

If not, post your formula and sample data inputs and expected outputs.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

It simply says 'the formula you typed contains an error. For more
information on formulas, click onto help'??

The formula i am trying to enter is:-

=IF(I380,"A",IF(I370,"B",IF(I360,"C",IF(I340," D","U"))))

It is when I try to enter the four sets of brackets at the end that the
error occurs??
Any ideas?
Thanks again, Louise.

"Louise" wrote in message
I am trying to create a nested IF function (has 5 IF statements), however,
every time I put the brackets at the end of the function, it puts a little
.
next to the false answer, removes the brackets and comes up with an error
message??

This is only happening on one particular PC, when I create the same
formula
on other pC's, it works fine so I know my formula is correct.

is there a setting on the PC that must be wrong???

Help.....!!

Thank you

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Your formula works for me, so I assume Ron is correct.
Try entering a simple function with the function wizard and see if it
generates commas or semicolons

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Louise" wrote in message
I am trying to create a nested IF function (has 5 IF statements),
however,
every time I put the brackets at the end of the function, it puts a
little
.
next to the false answer, removes the brackets and comes up with an
error
message??

This is only happening on one particular PC, when I create the same
formula
on other pC's, it works fine so I know my formula is correct.

is there a setting on the PC that must be wrong???

Help.....!!

Thank you

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

I have checked the Regional Settings and it is in fact set to a comma as a
separator which is correct. Where do I go from here?????

Thanks again.

Louise

"Louise" wrote in message
I am trying to create a nested IF function (has 5 IF statements),
however,
every time I put the brackets at the end of the function, it puts a
little
.
next to the false answer, removes the brackets and comes up with an
error
message??

This is only happening on one particular PC, when I create the same
formula
on other pC's, it works fine so I know my formula is correct.

is there a setting on the PC that must be wrong???

Help.....!!

Thank you

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 05:47:03 -0800, Louise
wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
I've been into the Regional Settings and can't find anyhthing relating to
using commas as separators?? Where are they??

There's a customize button next to the language name; and on the numbers tab
there is an option for "list separator".

Below is the formula I am using - it works fine on all other PC's, except
this one??

=IF(I380,"A",IF(I370,"B",IF(I360,"C",IF(I340, "D","U"))))

It is basicall calcualting the score for students, obviously the higher the
score, the better the grade. When I try to enter the four sets of brackets
at the end, that's where the error appears.

Describe again the error message. All I've read is that a dot appears, but I'm
not sure where, and/or if there are any other messages.

Also, what version of Excel is being used on the errant machine, vs the
functioning ones? Is it a non-US version?

Thanks again.

wrote:

I am trying to create a nested IF function (has 5 IF statements), however,
every time I put the brackets at the end of the function, it puts a little .
next to the false answer, removes the brackets and comes up with an error
message??

This is only happening on one particular PC, when I create the same formula
on other pC's, it works fine so I know my formula is correct.

is there a setting on the PC that must be wrong???

Help.....!!

Thank you

Louise

Could it be a regional settings difference? (Start/Control Panel/Regional and
Language settings). Some use a semicolon for a separator vs a comma.

If not, post your formula and sample data inputs and expected outputs.

--ron

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Ron

The error message says:- 'the formula you typed contains an error. For more
information on formulas, click onto help'??

The formula i am trying to enter is:-

=IF(I380,"A",IF(I370,"B",IF(I360,"C",IF(I340," D","U"))))

It is when I try to enter the four sets of brackets at the end that the
error occurs?? Again, on any other PC it works fine, it's just this one.

Office XP is installed on all PC's.
Thanks again.
Louise

wrote:

I am trying to create a nested IF function (has 5 IF statements), however,
every time I put the brackets at the end of the function, it puts a little .
next to the false answer, removes the brackets and comes up with an error
message??

This is only happening on one particular PC, when I create the same formula
on other pC's, it works fine so I know my formula is correct.

is there a setting on the PC that must be wrong???

Help.....!!

Thank you

Louise

Could it be a regional settings difference? (Start/Control Panel/Regional and
Language settings). Some use a semicolon for a separator vs a comma.

If not, post your formula and sample data inputs and expected outputs.

--ron

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

What happens with simpler formulas?

e.g.: =IF(I380,"A","U")

If you don't get the error with the simpler formula, then possibly you have a
typo when you are typing in the formula.

--ron

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
hhalle

I copied your formule into my version of Excel (2003 dutch), replaced
the IF with our dutch equivalent ALS and since my list separator is
also a comma it worked fine.

I think your problem with that particular PC is the list separator, try
the semi-colon ; and see if you get the same error.

You can also try like somebody else said enter the formula in a simple
manner
=IF(I340,"A","F")

Another option is to emty the cell and redefine the format.

The retype the formula, do NOT copy an paste.

Good luck,

Hans

--
hhalle

Male
hhalle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20829
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=489758

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

it works fine with simple formulas.
there isn't a typo on the formula, i've checked it a dozen times and even
got a colleague to do it as well, to see if they get the same result.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I have tried using the ; as the list separator and I get the same error. I
have checked the Regional Settings of the PC and this is set to a comma. It
isn't just that one particular worksheet that this formula doesn't work,
whichever workbook I am using, it will not let me create a nested IF
statement without coming up with the same error.

I cannot use the formula you have suggested below as this is for exam
results so, depending on the score the student achieves, depends on the Grade
they get.

Louise

"hhalle" wrote:

I copied your formule into my version of Excel (2003 dutch), replaced
the IF with our dutch equivalent ALS and since my list separator is
also a comma it worked fine.

I think your problem with that particular PC is the list separator, try
the semi-colon ; and see if you get the same error.

You can also try like somebody else said enter the formula in a simple
manner
=IF(I340,"A","F")

Another option is to emty the cell and redefine the format.

The retype the formula, do NOT copy an paste.

Good luck,

Hans

--
hhalle

Male
hhalle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20829
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=489758

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Just to complicate this even further.........

I have e-mailed the worksheet from the 'problem pc' to my own pc and when I
then enter the formula, it works fine. It must be something to do with the
settings on that pc but I don't know what.........

Louise

"hhalle" wrote:

I copied your formule into my version of Excel (2003 dutch), replaced
the IF with our dutch equivalent ALS and since my list separator is
also a comma it worked fine.

I think your problem with that particular PC is the list separator, try
the semi-colon ; and see if you get the same error.

You can also try like somebody else said enter the formula in a simple
manner
=IF(I340,"A","F")

Another option is to emty the cell and redefine the format.

The retype the formula, do NOT copy an paste.

Good luck,

Hans

--
hhalle

Male
hhalle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20829
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=489758

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Do you have an autocorrect option for 4 closing brackets?

Check Tools<Autocorrect options

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

GENIUS!!!! I never thought of that!!!

Somebody had added an AutoCorrect that changed closing brackets into the
telephone symbol!??!?!?!

Thank you so much, this has bugged me since yesterday.

merry Christmas.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 06:11:02 -0800, Louise
wrote:

GENIUS!!!! I never thought of that!!!

Somebody had added an AutoCorrect that changed closing brackets into the
telephone symbol!??!?!?!

Thank you so much, this has bugged me since yesterday.

merry Christmas.

Great.

And if we had read your first post more literally, one of us might of guessed
this answer earlier:

every time I put the brackets at the end of the function,

-- it puts a little . next to the false answer, removes the brackets <--

and comes up with an error message??

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

<And if we had read your first post more literally, one of us might of
guessed this answer earlier:

Absolutely! In hindsight I don't understand why we didn't see it at once.
Louise literally wrote about characters changing and from the description I
understood that the change happened before Enter was hit.
Anyway, kept us busy for a day!

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten