Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mike

Default look up function and sum values

I have a large spreadsheet that has vendor #s in column A and amounts in
column B. How do i get excel to look at all the matching vendor #s in column
A and add up all the corresponding values in column C and return the vendor #
and totals? There are multiple orders from the same vendors and I just want a
total for each returned along with the vendor #.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
L. Howard Kittle

Hi Mike,

=SUMIF(A1:A6,1234,B1:B6)

Where 1234 is the vendor number. I believe is the v number has letters you
will have to use "" around it "ABC1234" .

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"mike" wrote in message
I have a large spreadsheet that has vendor #s in column A and amounts in
column B. How do i get excel to look at all the matching vendor #s in
column
A and add up all the corresponding values in column C and return the
vendor #
and totals? There are multiple orders from the same vendors and I just
want a
total for each returned along with the vendor #.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

If you want ALL the vendors listed along with $, I'd suggest a Pivot Table;
highlight your data then go to the menu bar and Data Pivot Table and Chart
Report... Let the wizard guide you, and drop the vendor in the row field and
the $ in the data field.
If you want a particular vendor's total, use sumif:
=sumif(a:a,"VendorName",b:b).

"mike" wrote:

I have a large spreadsheet that has vendor #s in column A and amounts in
column B. How do i get excel to look at all the matching vendor #s in column
A and add up all the corresponding values in column C and return the vendor #
and totals? There are multiple orders from the same vendors and I just want a
total for each returned along with the vendor #.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
emrobertson

try using an IF function. set up column c with the following equation,
=IF(A1=vendor #,B1,0).with this formula insert the actual vendor number where
I typed vendor #. this should give you the values for every entry on that
particular vendor one at a time in column c. I would designate that column
for just one vendor. then in the next available space column d, e, f, what
ever you want to use, you can use a SUM function for all of the values in
column c