Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Hoya

Default How do I extract hyperlink as text from an array of hyperlinks?

Have a wksht with thousands of embedded hyperlinks. Need to extract the them
in text form. Is there a function for this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

You can use a UserDefined Function to extract that URL.

Option Explicit
Function GetURL(Rng As Range) As String
Application.Volatile

Set Rng = Rng(1)

If Rng.Hyperlinks.Count = 0 Then
GetURL = ""
Else
GetURL = Rng.Hyperlinks(1).Address
End If
End Function

So if you had a hyperlink in A1, you could put =getURL(a1) in that adjacent
cell.

Be aware that if you change the hyperlink, then this formula cell won't change
until your workbook calculates.

Short course:

Open your workbook.
Hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE (where macros/UDF's live)
hit ctrl-R to view the project explorer
Find your workbook.
should look like: VBAProject (yourfilename.xls)

right click on the project name
Insert, then Module
You should see the code window pop up on the right hand side

Paste the code in there.

Now go back to excel.
Into a test cell and type:
=getURL(a1)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MB

Dave -

I used your UDF to extract email address from I chart I'm building. It
worked rather nicely! However, I only want the actual address to show. With
your UDF, it displays as "mail to: emailaddress.com".

Can you enlighten me on how to lose the "mail to:" portion of the hyperlink?

Thanks!

-MB

Hoya wrote:

Have a wksht with thousands of embedded hyperlinks. Need to extract the them
in text form. Is there a function for this?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

You can use this

=SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(geturl(A1)),"mailto:","")

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

Hoya wrote:

Have a wksht with thousands of embedded hyperlinks. Need to extract the
them
in text form. Is there a function for this?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Oops! Should have been posted in response to the OP

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

Hoya wrote:

Have a wksht with thousands of embedded hyperlinks. Need to extract the
them
in text form. Is there a function for this?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

You could modify the Function to drop the first 8 characters, but I'd just use:

=mid(geturl(a1),8,255)

(make that 255 big enough to cover the longest email address--I bet it's ok
already!)

Hoya wrote:

Have a wksht with thousands of embedded hyperlinks. Need to extract the them
in text form. Is there a function for this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MB

Great! Either one works and (remarkably) I can see how both can be utilized.
Thaks so much.

I have one more concern, but not yet sure it's a problem:
I realized that the email text in the cell is a "phantom" as a result of the
function of the cell. Consequently, I can only "see" the text. When I copy
the cell, I'm only copying the function. This may be a really dumb question,
but is there a way I can make the text in the cell "real"??

Thanks again.

Matt

Hoya wrote:

Have a wksht with thousands of embedded hyperlinks. Need to extract the
them
in text form. Is there a function for this?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson