Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
croakingtoad

Default COUNTIF or SUMIF or ??

I have a spreadsheet with three columns of data. The first column is
labeled "Male", the second is labeled "Female" and the third is "Age".
Each row in the sheet corresponds to a caller. So if the caller was a
female, we marked a '1' under female and then under 'Age' put the
numeric age of the caller. What I am trying to do is determine the age
ranges of the callers.

So what I need is a function that will count/sum or whatever rows
C4:C81 IF the value of the cell is greater than or equal to 30 AND less
than 40.

It seems COUNTIF can't except multiple ranges and in doing SUMIFs, my
answer is always '1' or '0'. It seems to be summing each cell, not the
range. Please help!

Thanks!

--
croakingtoad
croakingtoad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29152

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

=COUNTIF(C4:C81,"=30")-COUNTIF(C4:C81,"=40")

or

=SUMPRODUCT(--(C4:C81=30),--(C4:C81<40))

Peo Sjoblom

"croakingtoad"
wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

Countif cannot, by itself, take a range. But if you count the 30+ and
subtract the 40+, you've created the range:
=countif(c4:c81,"=30")-countif(c4:c81,"=40").
Sumif cannot, by itself, take a range either. But the idea above applies.
But I'm not sure what you've got that would be added up? The ages? If so,
then the third argument of the sumif function should point to the age column,
not the Male/Femail columns. What's the formula you've used?
--Bruce