Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
GeneWan

Default How to create a prefix containing text and zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Gene

A bit sparse on requirements but here's a guess
With part number in A1
="Part Number 0"&A1

Regards

Roger Govier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
GeneWan

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the suggestion, I should have been more detailed: I'm trying to
achieve creating the prefix so that it will appear along with the number that
I key in.

Eg. after typing "12" the cell should show SN0012, where "SN00" is my prefix.

Appreciated.. :)

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Gene

A bit sparse on requirements but here's a guess
With part number in A1
="Part Number 0"&A1

Regards

Roger Govier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Buttrey

Without a macro you can't.

Why not adopt Roger's approach and use a helper column B

="SN00"&A1,
or better still with "SN00" in say C1
=$C$1&A1

Rgds

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Gene

A bit sparse on requirements but here's a guess
With part number in A1
="Part Number 0"&A1

Regards

Roger Govier

Richard Buttrey
__
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
GeneWan

I see..

I was trying to avoid creating an additional column, I was not sure if I
could achieve it, but if you suggest otherwise, Roger's approach would be the
most straightforward..

it's a shame, coz I could get the "SN" to appear, but I lost the zero that I
need.

Thanks!

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Gene

A bit sparse on requirements but here's a guess
With part number in A1
="Part Number 0"&A1

Regards

Roger Govier

GeneWan wrote:

Richard Buttrey
__

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

How about a custom format of "SN00"0

--

HTH

RP

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Gene

A bit sparse on requirements but here's a guess
With part number in A1
="Part Number 0"&A1

Regards

Roger Govier

GeneWan wrote:

Richard Buttrey
__

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

The format is SN00"0 including the quotes and the final 0.

--

HTH

RP

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Gene

A bit sparse on requirements but here's a guess
With part number in A1
="Part Number 0"&A1

Regards

Roger Govier

GeneWan wrote:

Richard Buttrey
__

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rsenn

Try using a custom number format.

In Excel 2002 you would get to this by way of

Format Cells Number Custom

In the Type box (it likely says General as a default), type "SN00"0;;;

This will cause "SN00" to precede the number that you type type in.
For example,

12 will display as SN0012.

Negative numbers, zero, and text entries will display as blank.

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050