Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SueB

Default Dealing with numbers that begin with a 0

Hello i am trying to figure out some basic sums but the forulas will not
differentiate between two numbers if one begins with a 0. in other words if i
enter the number 3 in a cell it give me the same results as if i entered a
03. i need it to be able to diffentiate between the two as they are two
seperate references.
=SUMIF(B$3:B$16,"03",A$62:A$75)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Don't enter them as a number (because they aren't; they are text
references), enter them as text.
Either format the cells as text before entering the references, or precede
them with an apostrophe (which will not show)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"SueB" wrote in message
Hello i am trying to figure out some basic sums but the forulas will not
differentiate between two numbers if one begins with a 0. in other words
if i
enter the number 3 in a cell it give me the same results as if i entered a
03. i need it to be able to diffentiate between the two as they are two
seperate references.
=SUMIF(B$3:B$16,"03",A$62:A$75)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SueB

Thats the problem, the people that will be using the sheet will probably
never be able to remember that. Is there any other way to get it to
reference as a number?