Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jimpc27

Default how to use "IF" to do nothing if a cell is blank

i want the "IF" statement to leave a cell blank if the referenced cell is
blank. But, if the referenced cell contains a numeric value, then I want the
new location to perform an operation based on the referenced value. For
example, =IF(G186=0,,(G186+2)) works most of the the time but I really want
=IF(G186=blank,,(G186+2)), so that if G186 was blank nothing would happen.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rowan Drummond

Try:

=IF(ISBLANK(G186),"",G186+2)

Hope this helps
Rowan

jimpc27 wrote:
i want the "IF" statement to leave a cell blank if the referenced cell is
blank. But, if the referenced cell contains a numeric value, then I want the
new location to perform an operation based on the referenced value. For
example, =IF(G186=0,,(G186+2)) works most of the the time but I really want
=IF(G186=blank,,(G186+2)), so that if G186 was blank nothing would happen.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=IF(G186="","",G186+2)

Biff

"jimpc27" wrote in message
i want the "IF" statement to leave a cell blank if the referenced cell is
blank. But, if the referenced cell contains a numeric value, then I want
the
new location to perform an operation based on the referenced value. For
example, =IF(G186=0,,(G186+2)) works most of the the time but I really
want
=IF(G186=blank,,(G186+2)), so that if G186 was blank nothing would happen.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi, I know this is an old post, but this is the formula I use for my charts,
but what I need it to do is to ignore these blank cells until there is a
false response.

At the moment my chart is plotting these as $0.00 right along the bottom of
the chart, and what I need is for it not to display until an amount is in the
cell.

Thanks,
Craig

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Try this:

=IF(G186="","",G186+2)

Biff

"jimpc27" wrote in message
i want the "IF" statement to leave a cell blank if the referenced cell is
blank. But, if the referenced cell contains a numeric value, then I want
the
new location to perform an operation based on the referenced value. For
example, =IF(G186=0,,(G186+2)) works most of the the time but I really
want
=IF(G186=blank,,(G186+2)), so that if G186 was blank nothing would happen.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(G186="",NA(),G186+2)
--
David Biddulph

"Redsphynx" wrote in message
Hi, I know this is an old post, but this is the formula I use for my
charts,
but what I need it to do is to ignore these blank cells until there is a
false response.

At the moment my chart is plotting these as $0.00 right along the bottom
of
the chart, and what I need is for it not to display until an amount is in
the
cell.

Thanks,
Craig