Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KenNZ

Default Data Validation

I am using the IF function for a range of cells and trying to get an error
alert to pop up when incorrect data is entered. I have been following all the
steps I need to take, but it doesn't seem to work. The cell referred to does
show error, but the opo up does not appear.

Heres an example :

For Cell E107 : =IF(E108+E109+E11032,"ERROR ALERT",E108+E109+E110)

And then I highlighted E108,109 & 110 and went into data validation,
specified the whole number to be no greater than cell E107 and entered the
error details for pop up. Also clicked the show pop up tab.

However, when incorrect data is entered, Cell E107 does say error, but the
pop up does not appear.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave R.

"specified the whole number to be no greater.."?

You'd need a custom function for this so select allow:custom and forumla:
=SUM(E108:E110)32
or e108+e109 etc. as you used in your post.

"KenNZ" wrote in message
I am using the IF function for a range of cells and trying to get an error
alert to pop up when incorrect data is entered. I have been following all

the
steps I need to take, but it doesn't seem to work. The cell referred to

does
show error, but the opo up does not appear.

Heres an example :

For Cell E107 : =IF(E108+E109+E11032,"ERROR ALERT",E108+E109+E110)

And then I highlighted E108,109 & 110 and went into data validation,
specified the whole number to be no greater than cell E107 and entered the
error details for pop up. Also clicked the show pop up tab.

However, when incorrect data is entered, Cell E107 does say error, but the
pop up does not appear.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
L. Howard Kittle

Hi KenNZ,

Would't you have to set your valaditation criteria to the sum of 108, 109
and 110 instead of 107? 107 will never show greater that 32 because the
formula will return ERROR and the valadation is looking for greater than 32.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"KenNZ" wrote in message
I am using the IF function for a range of cells and trying to get an error
alert to pop up when incorrect data is entered. I have been following all
the
steps I need to take, but it doesn't seem to work. The cell referred to
does
show error, but the opo up does not appear.

Heres an example :

For Cell E107 : =IF(E108+E109+E11032,"ERROR ALERT",E108+E109+E110)

And then I highlighted E108,109 & 110 and went into data validation,
specified the whole number to be no greater than cell E107 and entered the
error details for pop up. Also clicked the show pop up tab.

However, when incorrect data is entered, Cell E107 does say error, but the
pop up does not appear.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Ken

Do not enter the cell reference E107 in the less than or equal to box.

The way you have it set up now, E107 will contain "ERROR ALERT" rather than a
number if you enter more than 32 in any of E108:E110

Hard-enter 32 into the box.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP